Pulled pork without the pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcatsmom

Assistant Cook
I have a great pulled pork recipe I want to try but my husband won't eat pork. Anyone heard of making it with beef?

Sure. You can do a brisket - just call it shredded beef.

I cook a beef roast until it's pullable. Most people are afraid to overcook a roast. They get to that slicing stage and say it's dry - so they don't want to cook it longer. But, cooking it longer only makes it more tender, not more dry.

You can do it with chicken also.

If you do it with beef, I consider a fattier cut, similar to the Boston butt for pork. I'd go with a boneless chuck rioast.

I make mine with chicken. I buy a whole roaster and boil it with onions and celery until it's falling off the bones. Let it cool then pick out all the bones and shred the meat and proceed from there. I save the "water" and have a good chicken stock for soups. Several meals from one chicken!

thanks everyone! if I'm making it in the slow cooker, do I need to adjust the time?

Don't know what your recipe says. But, if it calls for something like cooking a 2.5 - 3 lb pork shoulder roast on LOW for 7-9 hours - that would work for a beef chuck roast of about the same size.

mm meat sounds good right now
image9.jpg

Our dd makes it with chicken breasts and barbecue sauce. It was great. She makes it in the crock pot.

Chuck roasts are excellent for pulled beef. The meat will take as much time as it needs to break down the connective tissue and will normally have a long plateau around 170*-190*. I use a probe thermometer for doneness and take the roast out when it reaches 205* internal. I then let it rest for an hour or longer. Sometimes foiled on the counter, sometimes foiled in a cooler. (If I am going to let it rest longer) The meat comes out juicy and is very easy to pull. I do the same with Boston Butt, but it comes out with an internal of 195*.

Back
Top Bottom