Real Crab vs Artificial Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplicity

Sous Chef
The obvious difference is about $18.00/lb.

I'm making a Crab and Wild Rice salad for the ladies who lunch. The seafood part is about 50% shrimp and 50% crab. I'm putting in tiny English Peas, green onions, roasted red pepper and changing the wild rice to a blend, plus a few seasonings in a mayonaise dressing.

I'm not familiar with artificial crab. I understand it's not the real thing, but will it be enough to notice?

Now, don't get me wrong, we have munched on a lot of artificial crab and I even use it in my hot dip made with cream cheese - it actually is the flavor needed.

BUT, for your dish I'd say real crab is the way to go. Even if you cut the 50/50 ratio to save on the expense I would use the real thing.

Artificial crab is usually a fish called polluck. From what I understand it is a form of codfish. I can taste the difference and it looks fake but if that's what you have to go with then do it. Most people can't afford good crabmeat at 32.00 per pound. You could buy one crab leg and chop the meat from that to add to the polluck.

Fake crab looks tastes and feels nothing at all like real crab IMO. I like the fake crab, but in a dish that highlights crab as an ingredient the fake stuff will not fool anyone.

There are right times and wrong times to substitute faux crab for real. This isn't one of those times. The ingredients you mention are fresh and bright...adding surimi is going to drag those flavours down down down. Use less crab and more shrimp if you want to cut costs, but don't skimp on the crab entirely.

How much is your recipe calling for ... 1/2 a cup? a full cup? There are some canned or pouched products that are real crab and cost a ton less than if you are buying it out of the meat / seafood section (I think I paid $3.99 for a pouch last week to make pasta). Like Kitchenelf & Verablue suggested, cut the amount in half and add more shrimp if that helps but stay away from the fake stuff in this case.

Last edited:
And, you don't have to go for the lump crab either - just real, fresh crab - - - that's what the recipe needs. I think you will see we have all pretty much said the same thing, but, in different ways. This dish seems to be fairly "delicate" in flavor. Can you PM me the recipe? I'm curious and it sounds wonderful.

And I take it to mean you are changing the all wild rice to a blend of wild and brown rice? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that blend!!!! I'll PM you one of my favorite recipes that uses that blend.

crab as of yet cannot be successfully farm raised (and perhaps it just can't). We are seeing populations in unprotected waters drop alarmingly due to overfishing. Still, in this recipe, I'd use fresh, real crab of some type.

I can buy canned crab in the supermarket for around 9 or 10 dollars a pound. It is coming from out of the country, but I would use it in instead of the fake crab. IMO, fake crab tastes like fake crab.

IMO the taste of the Imitaion is funky...the texture even more funky...I don't eat it myself, and I cetrtainly wouldn't serve it to guest. I suggest a 1 lb. container of(pasteurized) claw meat...Price should be $10...more or less.

Have Fun!!!

Forgot about the texture, nothing like real crab. For me, it is too soft, mushy, and also, I have never seen real crab with that reddish, brownish, pinkish color.

The obvious difference is about $18.00/lb.

I'm making a Crab and Wild Rice salad for the ladies who lunch. The seafood part is about 50% shrimp and 50% crab. I'm putting in tiny English Peas, green onions, roasted red pepper and changing the wild rice to a blend, plus a few seasonings in a mayonaise dressing.

I'm not familiar with artificial crab. I understand it's not the real thing, but will it be enough to notice?

The arificial crab is nothing but some cooked fish.

I'm convinced - real crab it is. I need somewhere between 12 oz and a lb.

The ladies don't drink at lunch. Considering how expensive this salad will be, it seems criminal to serve it without wine. Maybe I'll bring a couple of bottles and start a new custom:)

Thanks for your posts.

I'm convinced - real crab it is. I need somewhere between 12 oz and a lb.

The ladies don't drink at lunch. Considering how expensive this salad will be, it seems criminal to serve it without wine. Maybe I'll bring a couple of bottles and start a new custom:)

Thanks for your posts.

Oh, that just sealed what wine I'm having with this - a nice Muscadet!!!! I think I see tomorrow's dinner!!!

I hate to embarrass myself here, but I really do like the imitation crab. It does taste different from real crab meat, but I happen to like the taste, especially in things like hot crab dip or even pasta.

Y'all gotta remember, I live about as far away from the ocean as you can get, so my choices are limited.

I hate to embarrass myself here, but I really do like the imitation crab. It does taste different from real crab meat, but I happen to like the taste, especially in things like hot crab dip or even pasta.

Y'all gotta remember, I live about as far away from the ocean as you can get, so my choices are limited.

Connie - we like to munch on it too, there's nothing wrong with it! And hot crab dip is EXACTLY what I use mine for. My dip is nothing more than:

cream cheese
a bit of cream
horseradish
roasted slivered almonds
fake crab meat

I think that pretty much sums it up except maybe there's some garlic in there too? It's been a long time since I made it. There might be some chives or spring onions too? MMMMMMMM........I wonder where that recipe is!

This is another recipe from my friend, Sara, whom I miss very much.

Sara’s Crab Dib

1 6-1/2 oz can of crab meat OR 1 8 oz pkg Crab Delights
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheesed, softened
2 eggs
1/2 onion, finely diced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Worchester sauce
1 tsp granulated garlic
dash Tabasco sauce
paprika

Mix all together except paprika. Put in lightly buttered 9x13 pan. Dust with paprika and bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees till lightly browned.
Do not over-bake, or it will be dry.

Serve with cocktail crackers of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom