Recipe calls for 12 slices of bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CDavis504

Assistant Cook
Hi yall,

I have a bread pudding recipe I want to try but the recipe calls for 12 slices of bread, but I am using french bread, so I need to know how many cups of bread 12 slices would equal. Now obviously I don't want to go cube up 12 slices of white bread for no reason just to find out, so any help yall can provide regarding this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance,
CDavis504

Store bought sliced bread usually is an ounce a slice so you need 12 ounces of French bread. Sorry if you don't have a scale.

The precision side of me hates when recipes call for slices of bread, or even cups of bread. Neither one is even close to an accurate measurement. I wish more recipes would use weight in addition to the other measurements.

Hi yall,

I have a bread pudding recipe I want to try but the recipe calls for 12 slices of bread, but I am using french bread, so I need to know how many cups of bread 12 slices would equal. Now obviously I don't want to go cube up 12 slices of white bread for no reason just to find out, so any help yall can provide regarding this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance,
CDavis504

If you'll be using a pan, I'd slice the French bread to fill the pan and still leave room for the rest of the ingredients. Your 3/4 loaf idea sounds good, too.

Thanks, that's just one of the many almost useless bits of information rattling around in my brain. As a kid I'd read labels and noticed that Wonder bread was in a 16 ounce loaf. Exercising my counting skills, I determined there were 16 slices of bread in the bag. The math was easy.

Last edited:
If you can tell me how much weight the bread loses by toasting it within 30 seconds I'll really be impressed ;)

The precision side of me hates when recipes call for slices of bread, or even cups of bread. Neither one is even close to an accurate measurement. I wish more recipes would use weight in addition to the other measurements.
Maybe it just doesn't matter in this case. I remember a Danish recipe that had everything in grams and decilitres and then called for a tablespoon or a cup (not Danish measures) of something. I understood that to mean that the amount was meant to be an approximation.

I think it matters a lot in this case. I can't stand a dry bread pudding, so personally I'd opt for less bread than you think you'll need.
The best bread pudding I ever made was with stale frosted cinnamon rolls.

Last edited:
Maybe it just doesn't matter in this case. I remember a Danish recipe that had everything in grams and decilitres and then called for a tablespoon or a cup (not Danish measures) of something. I understood that to mean that the amount was meant to be an approximation.

I think what bugs me, is if I cut big cubes and measure those, it will measure much different than tiny cubes.

I'm just not OK with approximations with baking. A twinge of OCD maybe:D

I think it matters a lot in this case. I can't stand a dry bread pudding, so personally I'd opt for less bread than you think you'll need.
The best bread pudding I ever made was with stale frosted cinnamon rolls.

That's why I buy Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon bread. It is already seasoned for you. Lazy way of doing it. Just have to make the custard. My daughter loves to have raisins in her bread pudding. So I make her happy. I also make the caramel sauce for her to pour over it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom