Recipes called for a yolk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, its the yolk! I want to be able to add a yolk without having to buy the egg. I guess that's impossible!I guess I should buy eggs. I can have an hard boiled egg for a snack and bake with the rest.

virgo, if you lived closer, i'd tell you to take one of mine. When i need the whites, i put the yolks in an ice tray in the freezer for a rainy day....i've got a little over a dozen. DH keeps threatening to make me fudge, but nothing yet.

eggs!

Yes, its the yolk! I want to be able to add a yolk without having to buy the egg. I guess that's impossible!I guess I should buy eggs. I can have an hard boiled egg for a snack and bake with the rest.

Virgo,

You jest - you`re trying to write a sit-com for the yolkless audience!

Basic: PHYSICAL AND CHEMISTRY OF FOOD - MODULE 1001

EGGS - consist of shell (outer surface), principally calcium carbonate, relatively hard given the hen expresses it out of her body! Internally, eggs contains a yolk and albumen (white). The yolk is attached by the chalaze ( a "WHITE THREAD") which on separating the yolk from the white and necessitates the straining of any custard or product using egg yolks. Or do you think I`m yolking/joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joked (yolked) enough?

Buy the eggs - use the yolks as you will and let us tell you how to make THE most fantastic desserts with the whites.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Egg yolks do three things in a cake. First, they emulsify, or bind the fats in the batter so that they don't seperate out. Second, they do contain some fats of their own, thereby increasing the moisture of the cake. Finally, egg yolks add a flavor richness to the cake.

Lecithin is available in most food stores and can be used as a substitute for egg yolk. It is often used comercially in baking to elliminate eggs from recipes. It is, however, tasteless. It will improve the texture, but not the flavor of the cake.

Another trick is to eliminate the egg altogether and substitute mayonaise in its place. Believe it or not, Hellmen's (also calle Best Foods) mayonaise is great in yellow and especially chocolate cake batters. There are a host of mayo-cake recipes on the internet, and many in DC if you want to search.

In summary, lecithin and mayonaise can be used as a substitution for egg yolks in cake batters. Oh, and one more thing, lecitin helps reduce the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol.

For more information, here's a link to look at: Lecithin: An Egg Yolk Substitute

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use egg beaters and egg whites. If a recipe needs a yolk what do I need to do?

Grab 1 or 2 quarters (25 or 50 cents) and go next door to your neighbor's place - tell them your situation and ask them if they will sell you an egg. They will probably look at you funny - but will probably sell you a single egg, especially if you offer them 50-cents.

Only... they don't sell them by the half dozen here! Only 12 or 18.. weird huh?

I like Picanas' idea.. wouldn't that be cool? Of course, if it caught on you would end up paying something like .50 an egg...

go in with a neighbor, or make a deal with one to purchase one egg -- or however many the specific recipe calls for.

FWIW, I purchase my eggs from a farmer at the Greenmarket, and the price recently went up from $3 to $3.50 per dozen for hens eggs. Other farmers at the market charge as much as $5 per half dozen but I really like Quattro's eggs. I know how fresh they are, and how their chickens are raised.

lol Bilby. Free range eggs. heh heh heh.. I can just see wide open fields with no fences and the wonderful free range eggs running wild and free on the range while grisly old cowboys wrangle them up. :LOL: Sorry. I don't buy the whole free range thing. Therre's gotta be a fence somewhere, and regardless of whether you are caged or allowed to run around in the grass, you are still a chicken-slave with the "Man" stealing your eggs. ;)

I like ChefJune's idea. Go bug a nieghbor for an egg, just proise to share the end result with them. My frieds have showed up at my house before bearing flour and eggs and begging me to make cookies for them.

That brings up an interesting idea (at least to me).... why can't a person buy just one egg? .
Becausae the egg they gave you would be hard-boiled or pickled, and that just won't work in your average cupcake recipe.

If I had enough pickled eggs, I wouldn't need no stinkin' cupcakes :LOL:
Heck, I went to make egg salad the other week, figured one hard cooked egg would do me alright and I ended up eating seven... didn't get around to the egg salad until the following day :LOL:

I have zero tolerance for egg salad and deviled eggs. :p
eggs are great for baking, or smothered in other stuff.
or throwing at.......
sorry.

If you can find free range eggs, BUY THEM! I have recently had the grave misfortune of eating an irradiated "safe" egg...it was such a sad and unfortunate liquidy mess. I'm such a fan of real food:

Don't pasteurize your anything!

(slightly insane) Mike

Here, free range just means that they aren't stuck in a tiny cage. We have cage, barn-laid, free-range and organic. Nothing is irradiated to my knowledge.

just sayin... caged up is caged up. Free range just sounds like there's wild chickens. lol. For me (and my minor in college was marketing) "free range" sounds more like "free money" compliments of the marketing department. Much like you pay more for brown eggs, when the business reality is that they cost the same to "produce", and the only real difference is the color of the chicken that lays them.

Back
Top Bottom