Recipes called for a yolk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just sayin... caged up is caged up. Free range just sounds like there's wild chickens. lol. For me (and my minor in college was marketing) "free range" sounds more like "free money" compliments of the marketing department. Much like you pay more for brown eggs, when the business reality is that they cost the same to "produce", and the only real difference is the color of the chicken that lays them.
You must have worked for the Mt Barker Free Range Egg Farm cos they promote their products by having to call their hens back from the pub and town centre, etc!!! Good campaign!

I live near the caged egg farms and it doesn't sit right that they are cooped up in a cage not being able to move, see daylight, etc. Birds and animals should be able to be able to at least "stretch their legs" so to speak - to my mind anyway. I haven't noticed any discernible taste difference between caged and free range. I just try to look out for the animals if I am able. And even if most caged egg producers do the right thing by their birds, not all do so by not supporting that component of the industry makes it harder for the bad people to exist.

And yeah, you are right. It is a very quick way to make money. Personally I have not been able to work out what "Barn-laid" is meant to imply - caged in a barn or free-range in a barn? Seems a bit of a nonsense term.

I have zero resistance to egg salad and deviled eggs!

I LOVE eggs! :D

sounds like some of you city dudes need to visit a family farm to see how animals live when they're not part of big business.... In my family experience, chickens lived in a yard with grass and sand, and there was a "hen house" there where the hens went to lay their eggs, and they all went to get in out of the rain.

Recently I've visited the farms of some friends who raise poultry for market (free-range, that is) and their animals spend all day out in pastures, going from spot to spot when the grass and seed are "done," and being herded into shelter for the night. very sensible, imho, very humane. :)

Last edited:
I've never noticed a difference, that's for sure. We have a friend who won't eat anything but free range chicken, but will only eat butterball turkey... lol. If you're going to raise it so you can kill it and eat it, does it really matter if it was in a cage, a barn, a coop, or running around downtown? Dead is dead. And I worry that "free range" chicken is much like "dolphin safe" tuna...but that's another thread...oh wait...we've already hijacked this one :LOL:

Go bug a neighbor for the one egg you need. Make friends AND food all in one fell swoop. ;)

Back
Top Bottom