Recipes called for a yolk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh, I know of no substitute for an egg yolk in baking.

The good news is that when you toss the yolk into the mix you still have the white to do with as you usually do.

I use egg beaters and egg whites. If a recipe needs a yolk what do I need to do?

Start clucking and squat?
3.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Ok here is what you need to do:

take an egg, crack it open, strain out the egg whites so only the yolk is left...:-p

Seriously, unless you can find a conversion for egg beaters to egg yolks I think you will be stuck having to use an egg. Maybe borrow just what you need from a neighbor?
I did do a quick Google search but could only find substitutions on egg whites for whole eggs and such.

ok, I'll just buy an egg.

That brings up an interesting idea (at least to me).... why can't a person buy just one egg? So you go to your deli counter and say, I want one egg, or two eggs... what's the big deal? I'd pay a premium price for an egg if I didn't want the other 11 (or 5).

Only... they don't sell them by the half dozen here! Only 12 or 18.. weird huh?

I like Picanas' idea.. wouldn't that be cool? Of course, if it caught on you would end up paying something like .50 an egg...

I'd pay .50 for an egg if I only wanted one. I hate wasting food and having to buy a bunch of something just to get a couple. Then the rest goes bad before I need it again. Thus starts the cycle....
I'd like to be able to buy just a couple celery stalks.

egg yolk

I use egg beaters and egg whites. If a recipe needs a yolk what do I need to do?

Hi Andrea,

What you need to do is separate the yolk from the egg. For this you need 2 cups/bowls and VERY clean hands. Crack the shell of an egg and holding one hand, with the fingers touching at the top, over a bowl, use the other to open the shell and allow the egg to fall onto the hand suspended over the bowl. The egg white should drip through your fingers and the yolk stay in your hand. Place the yolk in the other bowl or cup. Repeat for as many eggs as necessary.

Quick tip - use the hand with which you normally write to separate the shell because it is more dextrous and flexible. Place your non-writing hand over the bowl to separate the yolk and the white of egg.

Use the egg whites for souffles, chocolate mousse, or meringues or Pavlova.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

As far as I know, the egg white is the part which makes a cake, or cupcakes in your situation, rise. The yolk, well I'm not certain what value that may add, so I don't see why you couldn't use egg beaters for your recipe. Maybe Michael could add some insight here.

They make egg beater egg whites - if you really don't want to buy eggs buy that.

EDITED TO SAY: - I had egg whites on the brain versus yolks.

Last edited:
I was just kinda curious.. where is she getting the egg whites from if not from an egg? I know Elfie just mentioned egg beater egg whites, but Virgo mentioned egg beaters and egg whites...??

Back
Top Bottom