Red Wine Sub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
The pork recipe that I'd like to try calls for red wine. No specific brand
Will merlot do? I don't cook with wines. It's best saved for other purposes. :LOL:

Thank you

Munky.

Merlot should be fine, Munky. Any wine you'd drink can be used for cooking.

Merlot should be fine, Munky. Any wine you'd drink can be used for cooking.

Well aren't you on the fence in 5 seconds..I'm not that quick.:LOL:
Had no idea about that. Explains why I could never find "cooking wines" at the grocery store.. This was a duh moment! :angel:

Thank you Dawgy

Munky.

Well aren't you on the fence in 5 seconds..I'm not that quick.:LOL:
Had no idea about that. Explains why I could never find "cooking wines" at the grocery store.. This was a duh moment! :angel:

Thank you Dawgy

Munky.

If you do find "cooking wines" at the grocery store, don't use them! They're loaded with salt - a holdover from Prohibition. Salt was added to prevent people from drinking it straight. It's yucky in cooking.

For most savory recipes, a dry or semi-dry red wine will do great - Cabernet Saugivnon or Shiraz. In Italian cooking, I usually use a Barolo or Chianti. If you use whatever wine you're serving, they will complement each other nicely.

I would use the burgundy. The sangria will be too sweet and introduce fruity flavors that won't go with the rest of the ingredients.

Yes, definitely the burgundy. Sangria would be yucky, it's a wine cocktail. Highly drinkable though.

You should only use the wines that are good enough to drink for cooking. Can't think of another purpose.

Thought's right.. ONLY winkable wines to kook with will do.
Sthipping some while kooking is a good idea.

In all theriousnth'ssss :ROFLMAO:

I made a few modifications to the recipe. Caramelized the onions. Removed them from the pan.
Rolled the pork in a little olive oil, seasoned with bp,paprika,minced garlic.Seared it in a pan. Added it to the crock while I deglazed the pan in the stock. Added some marjoram.Took off and went shopping..

When it was done added just a little more water to the juices so that the gravy would be doubled in quantity. Used cornstarch as a thickener. Served it with mashed taters, veggies, french bread. Everybody was happy.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom