"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Ok I made the sauce (it's for tonights dinner) and I decided to use 1/2 white and 1/2 water and it tastes wonderful. Yeah! Im still picking up some rice when I go shopping next week though.

“I went into a restaurant. The menu said, ‘Breakfast anytime.’ So I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.” Steven Wright
my_psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Rice Vinegar is Rice Wine Vinegar. Rice wine has not turned to vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is generally less acidic or milder, and sweeter than any of the other vinegars. There really is no good substitute for it. In my opinion, apple cider vinegar would be the least likely substitute. The best choice for a sub would be a diluted plain white vinegar. Personally I wouldn't make the recipe without Rice Vinegar.
Thanks Kayelle.
When I was shopping in the Asian market, things are labeled so differently and being my first time there, following a recipe, I wasn't sure I was getting the correct ingredient. I bought rice vinegar figuring the vinegar was what was important. Glad I guessed right!

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I go through lots of rice vinegar, too, as I make tons of stir fry and fried rice dishes. I bought some rice wine when I spotted it awhile back but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Any good recommendations for rice wine?

As for vinegar substitutes....my absolute favorite is white wine vinegar, and I find it subs very well for rice vinegar. I may like the bite it has more than others though. We also make our food super super spicy.

cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote

cooking, rice, wine