Rice cooking wine, rice vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I am making a dipping sauce for Thai garlic chicken. Here is what it calls for

1/2 cup rice vinegar (OR other type of vinegar: white, white wine, or apple cider)
1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 fresh red chilies, minced OR 1/3 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili OR cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce

I have rice cooking wine. Can I use that for the rice vinegar or should I go with one of their substitutes? If so which one?

Thanks.

Rice cooking wine should be fine.
I've actually never used to the stuff..I keep Rice wine vin around at all times.. but yeah, I would assume it would be ok
if you are worried about it, apple cider vin. would be ok in the situation

Rice wine and rice wine vinegar are two completely different things and are not interchangeable.

Like you wouldn't use white wine when the recipe called for white wine vinegar.

I make dipping sauce much like yours all the time and would highly recommend NOT using rice wine, but rather some sort of vinegar - even white vinegar if need be. If using white, cut it with a bit of water, as it's much more acidic than rice wine vinegar.

well then..there you go
I would for sure say that in my none experience of cooking with it...i would just turn to a vinegar.

Isn't the acid level much closer in apple to that of rice?

Rice wine and rice wine vinegar are two completely different things and are not interchangeable.

Like you wouldn't use white wine when the recipe called for white wine vinegar.

I make dipping sauce much like yours all the time and would highly recommend NOT using rice wine, but rather some sort of vinegar - even white vinegar if need be. If using white, cut it with a bit of water, as it's much more acidic than rice wine vinegar.

I have lots of vinegars to choose from. Red wine, white wine, balsamic, apple cider and plain white, just no rice. Now I just need to decide which one. Im thinking the apple cider like "garlicjosh" suggested. What would you use?

I would use cider and cut back slightly on the sugar. You can always add more.

It will be a tan rather than a clear sauce. If that matters, use white vinegar cut slightly with water.

Rice vinegar/rice wine vinegar is a great staple, as it's very light in both flavor and acidity. I recommend picking some up to keep on hand sometime

I would use cider and cut back slightly on the sugar. You can always add more.

It will be a tan rather than a clear sauce. If that matters, use white vinegar cut slightly with water.

Rice vinegar/rice wine vinegar is a great staple, as it's very light in both flavor and acidity. I recommend picking some up to keep on hand sometime

i go through so much of the rice vinegar.. but i make a lot of Japanese rice every week too

Thanks. and I am going to buy some of the rice on my next shopping trip for certain! :)

Okay this thread may finally answer a question I have. A recipe I was making called for rice wine vinegar. At the Asian market, I found rice wine and rice vinegar but no rice wine vinegar. (This was an Asian dish). Can someone explain the differences between these 3?

Okay this thread may finally answer a question I have. A recipe I was making called for rice wine vinegar. At the Asian market, I found rice wine and rice vinegar but no rice wine vinegar. (This was an Asian dish). Can someone explain the differences between these 3?

Rice Vinegar is Rice Wine Vinegar. Rice wine has not turned to vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is generally less acidic or milder, and sweeter than any of the other vinegars. There really is no good substitute for it. In my opinion, apple cider vinegar would be the least likely substitute. The best choice for a sub would be a diluted plain white vinegar. Personally I wouldn't make the recipe without Rice Vinegar.

Last edited:
Ok I made the sauce (it's for tonights dinner) and I decided to use 1/2 white and 1/2 water and it tastes wonderful. Yeah! :) Im still picking up some rice when I go shopping next week though.

Rice Vinegar is Rice Wine Vinegar. Rice wine has not turned to vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is generally less acidic or milder, and sweeter than any of the other vinegars. There really is no good substitute for it. In my opinion, apple cider vinegar would be the least likely substitute. The best choice for a sub would be a diluted plain white vinegar. Personally I wouldn't make the recipe without Rice Vinegar.
Thanks Kayelle.
When I was shopping in the Asian market, things are labeled so differently and being my first time there, following a recipe, I wasn't sure I was getting the correct ingredient. I bought rice vinegar figuring the vinegar was what was important. Glad I guessed right!

I go through lots of rice vinegar, too, as I make tons of stir fry and fried rice dishes. I bought some rice wine when I spotted it awhile back but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Any good recommendations for rice wine?

As for vinegar substitutes....my absolute favorite is white wine vinegar, and I find it subs very well for rice vinegar. I may like the bite it has more than others though. We also make our food super super spicy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom