"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I want to make the roulade on good eats but I'm not a huge fan of tomato sauce. Would it be a werid combination to cook it as the recipe calls, and then make gravy to serve with it instead of tomato sauce, or would I be better off deglazing the pan, then brazing the meat in that and making a gravy from that?

What would you do?

spincontrol337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
I'd sear the stuffed and rolled roast in pan and finish it in the oven until it's medium rare. Then I'd make a gravy in the pan to serve with it.

Pounded flank steak is very thin and will cook quickly. Because of the nature of this cut, it becomes shoe leather if it's overcooked. You should keep it to the rare side of medium. To accomplish this and not be stuck with cold stuffing, I stuff the roast with stuffing that's already hot then cook it immediately.

If you are going to stuff it ahead of time, don't do this.

Be sure to roll the stuffed roast so the grain of the meat runs the length of the roast rather than around the circumference. That way, when you slice it, you will be slicing across the grain, which results in a more tender meat.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Head Chef
remember that a roulade is simply a rolled item, like a meat with a filling. It's quite alright to use what you like! Yu can change the meat, change the stuffing, change the sauce. Enjoy, they are fun to make.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Master Chef
I took an eye of round and cut into it about 3/4 inch deep, with the grain. I then turned the knife sideways and cut the roast, working toward the center until I had turned the roast into a flat slab of meat. I then spread a savory bread dressing over the surface and jelly-rolled it. I tied it into shape with butcher's string and placed a thermometer so the tip reached into the center of the roast. As Andy said, sear this in a hot pan until browned all around. Place on a rack in a suitable roasting pan. spread mushrooms, onion, garlic, and a bit of butter and water in the pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast at 300' for about 15 minutes per pound. Check the thermometer. Remove when the final temp reaches 150' F. Make gravy from the drippings. Yum!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Head Chef
I make roulades with smaller pieces of thin steak. My filling is cooked crumbled bacon, onion and a spear of dill pickle. (ALong with some lemon pepper and garlic powder.)
They get rolled up and I use a toothpick or two to keep them closed.
Brown them in a skillet, with a bit of minced onion and pickle.
Throw in 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and a bit of water if needed and let simmer
for half an hour or so.
Serve with mashed taters or rice or noodles.
VERY good. (Don't be afraid of the pickle.)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote