Salt pork for bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
So it's FINALLY chicken wild rice soup day.
I have celery and everything!! :LOL:
But, some :pig:gy ate my last pound of bacon....:mad:
I have a little hunk of salt pork in the freezer... do you think that would work diced up real fine and rendered crisp just to get me a little bacon flavor?

Yes, but I don't think it's as "bacony" as bacon. At least not the brands I buy, or maybe I'm dicing the salt pork to fine to get that taste of bacon. Maybe I'm "rendering it away"????

Not the same thing, Suziquzie. Do you have any leftover ham anywhere in your freezer? That would be a better sub, IMO, than the salt pork.

I just ate the last of the ham for lunch. :(
Maybe I have a bone in the freezer to pick some off of.
Now I see where the upright freezer would be a good thing Pacanis!!!
Thanks.

I do have an extra baked pork chop in the fridge from last night I could scrape the apple stuff off of on second thought.....

Suzie, you will be just fine. Go ahead and use it. Sautee some onion in that fat, it will be good.

Time permitting --- Thaw the Salt pork...Thinly slice or medium dice...Soak in water to remove some of the salt....Drain & dry....Saute to render some of the fat...Use it in your soup --- Not bacon, but the closest thing to it......

Enjoy!

It should work fine in a pinch, but it's not going to be as flavorful because it's not smoked. Like somebody said earlier, ham might work better (smoke) but I'm sure the salt pork will work in a pinch.

I ended up rendering the fat out of some, then I took out the crunchy bits.... I did find a ham bone to pick a little ham from, so I chopped that up real fine and browned that up in the fat.... wasn't EXACTLY the same but it really worked out well.... probably wouldn't have if I didn't have the ham hiding in the freezer.
Good thing I'm a cheapskate food hoarder!!!!
:)

suziequzie, here's something I do:

I buy Wright's "Ends and Pieces", 3 lbs for under $5. I package that up into 8 oz packages, and freeze. Whenever I want some bacon bits, or need bacon for a soup, that's what I reach for. Let the "good" strip bacon be used for breakfast and sandwiches.

suziquzie said:
.... wasn't EXACTLY the same but it really worked out well....

Bacon here in the states is usually "smoke cured" and often has some sugar in the "pre-smoking" brine - salt pork is "salt cured without smoke" or sugar.

Everything taste better with a little porcine punctuation! Smoked or not. :pig:

Back
Top Bottom