Sausage and peppers - need soup mix substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sec4eva

Assistant Cook
Can somebody please help me? I used to make a very simple and easy sausage and peppers but one of my ingridients have been discontinued and i need help finding a replacement.

Here is what the recipe was:
sausage
peppers and onions
garlic powder
oregano
parmesan cheese
Knorr tomato basil soup mix (this is what has been discontinued)

Please any suggestions are welcome
I do not like it to watery or saucy though

I use canned tomatoes about 28oz. cans. It has water, puree and chopped tomatoes in it. I don't use parm cheese, oregano, or garlic powder. Just some salt & fresh ground black pepper. Why mess with a good thing. I would think Knorr already had the in anyway. Maybe not the cheese.

If you have powdered dry tomatoes , you could try this.

4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons powdered dry tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon basil
dash of salt
dash of pepper

If you don't want it too saucy, you could use one 14.5-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained and buzzed in a food process or blender. Then add 1 tsp. dried basil or 1 tbsp. fresh julienned basil. To julienne, place the leaves on top of each other in a stack, roll them up like a cigar, and slice the roll very thinly.

Just use virtually any jarred pasta sauce that appeals to you. If you just want a small amount & like it thicker, pick up a jar of something like Ragu "Pizza Sauce". It's thick & seasoned & goes very well with sausage & peppers. I buy it all the time when I'm going to make sausage & pepper or meatball & pepper sub sandwiches.

My Mom uses the Ragu Traditional jar sauce when she makes hers, my Aunt uses Prego, and I use the canned pealed san marzano tomatoes. I whiz them up with the stick blender and add my own fresh basil and oregano.

Each a bit different but all very good.

Back
Top Bottom