Snacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. There are a million ways to go with this. What have you been snacking on? What kinds of food do you like? Are these for at home, or snacks to take while you're out? And eating healthy means different things to different people. What does it mean to you? What does "effective" mean to you?

When I think of healthy snacks, I tend to think of crudités (cut up raw veg, like carrots, celery, cauliflower, etc.) with hummus or baba ganoush, or tzatziki for dipping.

You can't go wrong with nuts, or berries. Fresh fruits, especially those native to North America, and apples are great as well.

If you really want healthy, and you love meats, cheeses, and such, purchace a goog pork serloin roast, or pork tenderloin, or beef inside round, or bettr cut, and roast to a temp. of 145' F for the pork, 135 for the beef, and thinly slice it against the grain
Thinly slice chicken, turkey, or other fowl is great with good multi-grian bread.

Good soup that are rich in collagen, and veggies, and low in sodium can be a great snak as well.

Seeeeya; Cjief Longwind of the North

I agree with Chief, that nuts and berries are superior snacks. I also look for whole grain/flax crackers that are awesome with nut butters or smoked oysters.

I also keep hard-boiled eggs on hand for quick snacks.

I buy frozen wild Maine blueberries and whisk them up in my mini blender with 1 pot of yogurt (usually vanilla or banana flavors) and a couple splashes of milk for one serving of a smoothie.

When I think of healthy snacks, I tend to think of crudités (cut up raw veg, like carrots, celery, cauliflower, etc.) with hummus or baba ganoush, or tzatziki for dipping.
Hi!
Thanks for the advice, I have already started doing this and so far it is going well!

You can't go wrong with nuts, or berries. Fresh fruits, especially those native to North America, and apples are great as well.

If you really want healthy, and you love meats, cheeses, and such, purchace a goog pork serloin roast, or pork tenderloin, or beef inside round, or bettr cut, and roast to a temp. of 145' F for the pork, 135 for the beef, and thinly slice it against the grain
Thinly slice chicken, turkey, or other fowl is great with good multi-grian bread.

Good soup that are rich in collagen, and veggies, and low in sodium can be a great snak as well.

Seeeeya; Cjief Longwind of the North

Hi! Than you ever so much for your response!

I have started eating more nuts and fruits and will consider the items you have suggested to try

I'd go for nuts, fruit, vegetable sticks or greek yoghurt with berries. You could also add chia seeds into your drinks and food as they contain omega 3 which can increase good cholesterol.

I replaced snacking on industrial chocolate bars and cookies with almonds, hazelnuts and a little piece of dark chocolate, and it is so much better! Tastes delicious, very healthy, and highly nutritious, it really calms my hunger in a way trash food could not. Any kind of nut is good of course, those are just my favourite).

I replaced snacking on industrial chocolate bars and cookies with almonds, hazelnuts and a little piece of dark chocolate, and it is so much better! Tastes delicious, very healthy, and highly nutritious, it really calms my hunger in a way trash food could not. Any kind of nut is good of course, those are just my favourite).

Nuts are definitely a good choice for snacking. My favorites are cashews and peanuts, even though peanuts are not technically a 'nut', but rather a legume. But whatever the case, I love them. I prefer them in-shell. If I get a bag of in-shell peanuts put in front of me, I get started on those things and don't know when to stop.

I made another batch of those boiled peanuts, starting with a pound of raw peanuts. I flavored the water with that seasoning I use for tea eggs - some lapsang souchong tea, some dark soy, some bits and pieces of star anise and cinnamon, and a few cloves, plus a tsp of 5 spice powder. I boiled these for 10 min or so, then strained it, put it back in the instant pot, with the peanuts, and some sugar, and a little more 5 spice powder, and pressure cooked them 30 min. When the pressure had released, I tasted it, adjusted the flavors, and added a pound bag of frozen edamame, that I had in my refrigerator freezer for a while, and pressure cooked them another 15 minutes, letting the pressure release on its own. Turned out great!
Chinese tea and five spice flavored boiled peanuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Boiled peanuts are the best. Love them. Normally when I make them (when I can find raw peanuts, that is) I just boil them in salted water. I don't add anything else. I'll have to try some other flavors.

Back
Top Bottom