Somthing I've always wondered about Heavy Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwik

Assistant Cook
So. I had a question and I've been looking at different sights. The question was

Is there a formula you can use to make Heavy Cream at your house and use it like you would with the commercial grade stuff you can buy at any grocery store ??

I’ve found two posts about this and I was just hoping for a little feedback as to what other people think about this and what you think would be the best one to try. I’m really skeptical about doing this and was wondering if anyone else has tried to do this and there results.

One was from Cooks.com says that you should use 3/4 c. milk and 1/2 c. butter. Melt the butter on low heat in the milk. Put this in a blender and mix it on high speed for about 3 minuets then chill it.

The second one was from CDKitchen.com and is pretty much the same thing. But its 3/4 c. milk to 1/3 c. butter. So I dont know what would be better. One with more fat in it or less.

Heavy cream is 36%-40% fat.

3/4 cup of milk = 6 Oz. Milk is 3.7% fat so there is .222 Oz fat in 6 Oz of milk.

1/2 cup of butter = 4 Oz. Butter is 80% fat so there is 3.2 Oz fat in 4 Oz of butter.

Combining the two yields 3.422 Oz of fat in 10 Oz. of butter. That calculates out to 34.22% fat content in the resulting mixture. That is more like whipping cream than heavy cream.

That is more like whipping cream than heavy cream.

Well. First off, thank you all for taking the time to respond. I know it just makes more sence but some times I just dont have to much money and like to find little ways to just make due with what I have.

I dont know were Andy got the % of Butter, Milk and what not. I wish I knew were to read up on the % of some items. Would be neat to know for my own knowlage.

One more question. Er, I thought whipping cream was pretty much heavy cream that has air incorperated into it. Whats the difference?

One more question. Er, I thought whipping cream was pretty much heavy cream that has air incorperated into it. Whats the difference?
Uh, no, WHIPPING cream is the cream you use to make whipped cream. WHIPPED cream is cream that has air incorporated into it.

...I dont know were Andy got the % of Butter, Milk and what not. I wish I knew were to read up on the % of some items. Would be neat to know for my own knowlage...

Patwik, here is the table I use. You can get this type of information by searching on Google.com

Creams are categorized by their percentage of milk fat.

Heavy cream has a milk fat content of between 36 and 40%
Light whipping cream, 30 to 36%
Light cream (also called coffee or table cream) 18 to 30%
Half and half is 10 to 12% milk fat.
Whole Milk is 3.7% milk fat.
Then there are 2% and 1% milks and...
Skim, which must be less than 0.5% milk fat.

Yup, only 3.7% fat. Advertisers make whole milk sound so evil you believe it has a lot more fat in it than it actually does.

Yes, it works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom