Splenda v. Equal/Sweet & Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put in about 2tbsps per cup of coffee.

:ohmy: Really?? I'd be on a sugar high all day! (Except I guess it wouldn't be a sugar high, huh? :)) I thought I liked my coffee really sweet with a heaped tsp of sugar, and I've found sweetners sweeter than sugar.

Completely agree about the cream though. I LOVE my coffee with cream.

Ever noticed that the more milk you use, the 'sweeter' a drink tastes without sugar or sweetners? I went a month without sugar (in sympathy for a friend diagnosed with diabetes) and I really noticed this.

:ohmy: Really?? I'd be on a sugar high all day! (Except I guess it wouldn't be a sugar high, huh? :)) I thought I liked my coffee really sweet with a heaped tsp of sugar, and I've found sweetners sweeter than sugar.

Completely agree about the cream though. I LOVE my coffee with cream.

Ever noticed that the more milk you use, the 'sweeter' a drink tastes without sugar or sweetners? I went a month without sugar (in sympathy for a friend diagnosed with diabetes) and I really noticed this.

My wife noticed, actually. She uses less sugar because she puts half n half in her coffee.

I am a diabetic, so bad me for putting sugar in my coffee, LOL, but to me a cup is one of those tall mugs. When I brew a pot I put in 8 cups of water according to the measurements on the side of the caraff, but that translates into about four tall mugs worth of coffee. So about 2 measuring cups per mug with 2tbsp (heaping) of sugar.

Not that bad of me, right?? LOL.

Maverick, instead of guessing, I went on the Splenda site and printed out about 20 of their recipes. I like cake but i just need an occasional treat, not a ton of it. They had tons of recipes for puddings, side dishes, cheesecakes, breakfasts ...

I did buy a large bag of Splenda once because it had a picture of a cup of coffee on the front of it. But when I put it in the coffee, it just foamed up and ruined the coffee. We called Splenda, and they said that 'type' would not work in hot drinks. I asked why they put a picture of a cup of coffee on the front then?? They said it was put next to the picture of a coffee cake and wasn't meant to imply being put in the coffee itself. They sent me another large bag for free to make up for it.
I just went looking for them and can't find them anywhere, I asked the wife and she said she gave them away!!!!!! Ugggg..
I have changed the kind of desserts I make from sweets to fruits about half the time, the other half I did want to start trying Splenda cakes and such, its all part of us trying to eat healthier these days and loose weight. Now I guess I have to go buy a couple of more bags, LOL.
I have been to the web site, and they have lots of great recipes there, I was just wondering how you would tell which sugar recipes you can convert to Splenda recipes and which you can't so that I could keep making some of my favorites.
I like having fruit salads, mixed berries, watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dews for dessert. And I like the idea of using Splenda to sweeten instead of sugar although most times we just cut up the fruit and eat it as is.
I also want to get into making our own yogurt and adding Splenda and fruit to it for an accompaniment to our breakfast of coffee, OJ, a banana, and Kellogg's Smart Start Strong Heart cereals.
I think that would make a real good start to the day.

i really eat healthy most of the time; the Splenda is just for coffee and a little treat occasionally, as i said. i stick with salads, whole grains, lean proteins and fruits the rest of the time.

I did buy a large bag of Splenda once because it had a picture of a cup of coffee on the front of it. But when I put it in the coffee, it just foamed up and ruined the coffee. We called Splenda, and they said that 'type' would not work in hot drinks. I asked why they put a picture of a cup of coffee on the front then?? They said it was put next to the picture of a coffee cake and wasn't meant to imply being put in the coffee itself. They sent me another large bag for free to make up for it.
I just went looking for them and can't find them anywhere, I asked the wife and she said she gave them away!!!!!! Ugggg..
I have changed the kind of desserts I make from sweets to fruits about half the time, the other half I did want to start trying Splenda cakes and such, its all part of us trying to eat healthier these days and loose weight. Now I guess I have to go buy a couple of more bags, LOL.
I have been to the web site, and they have lots of great recipes there, I was just wondering how you would tell which sugar recipes you can convert to Splenda recipes and which you can't so that I could keep making some of my favorites.
I like having fruit salads, mixed berries, watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dews for dessert. And I like the idea of using Splenda to sweeten instead of sugar although most times we just cut up the fruit and eat it as is.
I also want to get into making our own yogurt and adding Splenda and fruit to it for an accompaniment to our breakfast of coffee, OJ, a banana, and Kellogg's Smart Start Strong Heart cereals.
I think that would make a real good start to the day.

most of my recipes using splenda i get on their web site. like i said, it shouldn't be in the recipe to be used for volume. the brown sugar works well pretty much across the board . it melts very well. i have subbed splenda in cheesecakes. tastes great!!

i think their site will help you with knowing when and where u can use it.
hope this made some sense and helps.

babe:chef:

Splenda gave me horrible stomach cramps. I occasionally use Stevia in my coffee but went back to sugar when I got home. Trying to put less and less and eventually trying to enjoy coffee without any sweeteners.

Splenda gave me horrible stomach cramps. I occasionally use Stevia in my coffee but went back to sugar when I got home. Trying to put less and less and eventually trying to enjoy coffee without any sweeteners.
I thought it was just me with the stomach upset and Splenda! My BIL is diabetic and my sis was raving about Splenda so I got a big bag at Sam's. I ended up giving it to my sis because I was always nauseated, belching and cramping after using it in stuff instead of sugar. Decided it wasn't worth it so went back to sugar!

You know how a lot of gas stations have cases of soda outside? You never see any diet soda out there do you? There's a reason.

"When the temperature of aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which, in turn, causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus, people are being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in error. Multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence; methanol toxicity is."

Problem is, your body temperature is 98 degrees. Hmmmmm.....

Read this article: Aspertame before you decide to switch to one of those sugar substitutes.
I'm in NC and all the gas stations that have the soda displays include diet. Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, and other diet sodas. I buy diet all the time and the only thing I have to go inside to do is pay. I don't even bring one in, just go, pay, grab and leave.

The gas stations here don't put the diet cokes outside. I've never asked why. Maybe I'm wrong, it may be totally safe but I'm just leary of anything artificial. I was reading on Wikipedia that apparently the verdict is still out.
Wikipedia can be edited by anyone with an internet connection. They are the last thing you should turn to for reliable information.

Last edited:
maybe by volume they mean like an angel food cake ?

that is a good example, also can't use to replace sugar in bread rec.

i would think if it is only a small amount , you could use splendia. it is just sorta a trial and error thing.

banana bread works great with splenda, i have a sugarless sugar cookie recipe that works well . can use it in cheese cakes since the volume is made by the cream cheese, sour cream or ricotta cheese. you can use to sweeten fruit for pies.

i guess the amount called for should tell you if it is used for volume or not.

babe:chef:

I keep losing and gaining back the same few lbs so I have to cut someplace. I should probably cut out the sugar in my coffee as I use 4 packets a day.

What does everyone think of the taste in the fake sugars? And not just for coffee, I guess in whatever else i might sweeten - iced tea, etc.

Thanks

Hi Mostlywater,
If you want to lose weight and keep it off then you need to look at what you eat throughout the day and not just the coffee!

Tomorrow, or the next day go and buy a small notebook. Once you have your notebook, make sure that you note down EVERYTHING that passes your lips , when you eat or drink- not just the coffee. So this is going to have be a notebook and pen/pencil that you can carry with you at all times. Do this for 7-14 days. Each day, you must remove the pages and put them somewhere safe. After 7-14 days, collect the pages and write them out again on A4 paper.

Look carefully at what you ate on each day. I suspect that debates about coffee and sweeteners will pale into insignificance.

Let us know how you get on! If you want to lose weight and keep it off then you need to look at your whole diet, i.e.,everything you eat and when you eat, and make changes which will be for life and not just for a month or two. Seeing what you actually eat, as opposed to what you think you eat, is often a very enlightening exercise and may be a very useful starting point to losing those lbs and keeping them off!!!

All the best,
Archiduc

Along with cutting out the high calorie foods or at least cutting down on those foods, it's important to EXCERCISE!! You can't lose weight if you don't burn off those calories. I was able to lose 52 lbs. in one year but cutting portions, eating a healthier diet and excercising. Water aerobics 5 morning per week, and walking one mile 3 times per week. I eat anything I want, I just eat smaller portions and I don't eat the fattening foods (ice cream, pies, etc. ) nearly as often as I used to. I have kept the weight off for nearly 2 years and will continue to eat this way for the rest of my life. As for the sugar in your coffee, I switched from 2 tsp. sugar to 2 packets of Splenda and I don't notice the taste difference at all. Using Splenda won't make you lose weight, it's just one more thing to help take it off. You can do it if you really want to and it works. EXCERCISE.

Yes, Arch and Drama...I do an aerobic or weights workout 6 mornings a week and go on the bike every night that I am home, about 5 nights a week. I don't drive so I walk every place I go...... you'd think I'd be stick thin, eh ?

Back
Top Bottom