"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Splenda v. Equal/Sweet & Low

I keep losing and gaining back the same few lbs so I have to cut someplace. I should probably cut out the sugar in my coffee as I use 4 packets a day.

What does everyone think of the taste in the fake sugars? And not just for coffee, I guess in whatever else i might sweeten - iced tea, etc.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A teaspoon of sugar is worth 16 calories. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Well said, but, Splenda is pretty good. I make fresh fruited Yogurt for her every morning. Plain Yougrt, fresh fruit and some Splenda. Not bad at all. In iced tea, Sweet & Low, just seems to work.

AC
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Master Chef

Instead of switching to the fake stuff try cutting back on how much you put in your coffee! I used to be like you and started cutting back. Now you use 4 so maybe cut back to just 3 for a while until you get used to the taste of only 3 packets. Then cut it back to 2 etc. Pretty soon you won't be needing sugar in your coffee at all. I still add a bit of milk or half and half but that doesn't really sweeten it as much as to dampen the bitter. I also agree with Andy that there is probably somewhere else in your diet to cut back besides that.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I tried that, i can't get used to the taste of 3 sugars v. the 4. BUT i think 3 splendas are plenty.

iirc, isn't splenda not a fake sweetener anywayh? isn't it sugar related, somehow?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
It's processed heavily enough to be considered fake. The "real sugar" claim is from the marketing dept.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

You know how a lot of gas stations have cases of soda outside? You never see any diet soda out there do you? There's a reason.

"When the temperature of aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which, in turn, causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus, people are being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in error. Multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence; methanol toxicity is."

Problem is, your body temperature is 98 degrees. Hmmmmm.....

Read this article: Aspertame before you decide to switch to one of those sugar substitutes.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Head Chef

We use Splenda in a pinch (or when I know I need to use a subsitute for dietary reasons of guests). However, after a good friend of mine had a bad reaction to [Splenda] due to the chlorine processing, we try to avoid using any of them.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
You know how a lot of gas stations have cases of soda outside? You never see any diet soda out there do you? There's a reason.

"When the temperature of aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which, in turn, causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus, people are being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in error. Multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence; methanol toxicity is."

Problem is, your body temperature is 98 degrees. Hmmmmm.....

Read this article: Aspertame before you decide to switch to one of those sugar substitutes.
That is an Urban Legend / Email Hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

ACSH > Health Issues >

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blasp.htm
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I'm odd - I like diet coke better than the original version, so that's what I drink (on the occasions that I do). I'm not a fan of coke zero, though.

I never use artificial sweetners anywhere else, though. Oddly enough, I don't like the taste, so I just don't think it's worth it. So I can't really offer an opinion on which is better.

On the sweetners debate - thank you, redgriller, you beat me to it. I think it's a great idea to be wary of manufactured substances, but I've yet to find a convincing, scientific argument against sweetners (not saying they're not necessarily bad for you - just that I can't find any published research that suggests this is the case).