Sub for chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annhh

Assistant Cook
I have posted this question in a couple of forums now (I'm new to DC and not good at decipering the appropriate forums yet, so forgive me). I am highly allergic to Capsaicin (chili in any form) and have been desperately seeking alternatives when it is called for in recipes that need a little "heat". Thanks in advance for any thoughts you many share.

Thanks

Both intriguing ideas, and I love horseradish and wasabi. I'll have to try them, but I am uncertain if the flavor would be right for things like various Mexican dishes. However, only one way to find out ... so I'm ready to go where no man has gone before. I'll be sure to report my findings, since I am sure others have similar problems. Thanks!

You have an allergy to the active ingredient in chile peppers so you can't use them. Anything else will have a different flavor. However, horseradish will provide the heat. You have to decide if the heat is worth the difference in flavor.

Black pepper has no capsaicin and mixed with garlic and oregano is pretty Mexican.You can get some good heat from raw garlic and black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom