Sub for Fish Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I forgot to grab some at the store.

I have Black Bean, Hoisin, Teriyaki, Soy Sauces

Can I use 1 or a combo for the fish sauce?

Or do I need to pull out the "Bass-o-Matic"?

Last edited:
If it's for a dressing that I am thinking of the only substitute I can think of may be oyster sauce. The other sauces that you have just won't have the same taste.

Nothing else will taste anything like it.

In a salad dressing, I'd only sub soy sauce, as it has the same consistency and brings the umami. Oyster sauce and fish sauce taste entirely different and oyster is thicker and sweeter, making it IMO, not a good sub.

No to the black bean, hoisin and teriyaki, too.

Your salad dressing won't taste like how it's supposed to taste (Thai, presumably ... with lime juice, sugar, etc) but it probably will still taste good.

Edited to add: I just looked at the recipe and it was just as I had assumed. Leaving out the fish sauce will make it taste very different than intended, but there is still enough going on there to be both asian and good. Since there is already soy sauce it the dressing, make it without the fish sauce -- taste it -- and add more soy sauce to taste if you think it needs it.

Personally, I'd go out and buy some fish sauce or see if a neighbor might have some. It's a wonderful thing to have on hand.

Last edited:
Sorry, suziquzie - some times there are no substitutions, and this is one of them - from the items you listed.

You could make a sub - if you have a tin of anchovies - open, drain, mash up and add about 1 part soy sauce for 4 parts anchovies ... mash the anchovies, bring to a boil, simmer (covered) for about 10 minutes - let cool ... then mash and strain the juice.

I passed on trying to sub..... I'm going to the store today for some (I think).

I realized I forgot the jalapenos for the salad also. See what happens when you take kids to the store?

Thanks everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom