Sub for lamb in Gyros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
My boyfriend absolutely refuses to eat lamb, but I want to make Gyros. What would be the best substitute? Also if anybody has a recipe, that would be nice to. Thank you. :)

Since you're making it to accommodate your boyfriend, use whatever meat he likes best.

I substitute pork for lamb all the time when I marinate it in wine,rosemary,garlic. I bet you could do the same if you marinated in the gyro spices.I would probably slice it thin then marinate it.

I was thinking pork as well. I know the Greeks tend to use them both in a lot of dishes. You could probably even use chicken thighs. I'd go for the dark meat instead of the white in that case.

Thanks everybody. I had another suggestion to mix ground beef with ground pork. Here is the recipe I'm going to use in case anybody cares to try it. :chef:
Greek Gyros
Ingredients

• 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
  • 2 pounds ground lamb or 1 lb hamburger and 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
  • 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Tzatziki Sauce, recipe follows
Directions

Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

To cook in the oven as a meatloaf, proceed as follows:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the mixture into a loaf pan, making sure to press into the sides of the pan. Place the loaf pan into a water bath and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the mixture reaches 165 to 170 degrees F. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat. Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack and place a brick wrapped in aluminum foil directly on the surface of the meat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes and feta cheese.

Tzatziki Sauce:

• 16 ounces plain yogurt
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced
Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Thanks, this looks great. If you use Greek yogurt, you can skip the draining as that's already done. Also, I put about 1 tbsp. fresh or (in a pinch) 1 tsp. dried dill in the tzatziki. So delicious! I may make this soon.

Thanks, this looks great. If you use Greek yogurt, you can skip the draining as that's already done. Also, I put about 1 tbsp. fresh or (in a pinch) 1 tsp. dried dill in the tzatziki. So delicious! I may make this soon.

Oh those are great Ideas. And I love dill. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom