Sub for port in cheese ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granniero

Cook
I am making a cheese ball that contains cheddar and bleu cheese, carmelized onions, cream cheese,green apple and pecans and calls for 3T port wine. Anyone know of a substitute for the port, or should I just omit? Thanks!

I think it would make a HUGE difference to omit it. I'm not sure Madeira would work. A bottle of port truly isn't that expensive (around $7 or so)and it will last for years once open. If you buy a bottle of port we will supply you with other recipes to use it up!!! :chef:

can you post the recipe. i have seen other cheese ball recipes with almost all the same ingredients as yours but they don't include port wine. some call for port wine cheese though.

Amost every cheddar cheese ball/spread I ever purchased had a dark red wine in it. You could possibly sub Chianti, but I suspect you will like the taste of the Port better.

i love port wine cheese. yes most cheese balls have some sort of wine in them as cheese, fruit and wine are perfect partners.

I think we need to know why you are looking for a substitution first. If you are trying to make this without alcohol then we might suggest one thing or if it is because of an alergy we might suggest something else for instance.

There's no real substitute for port due to its unique flavor profile and touch of sweetness, but the cheese ball might be pretty good with other things. I'd try sherry, either dry or cream. If you don't want to use any alcohol, experiment by mixing a bit of the chess mixture with soy sauce, or Worcestershire sauce. Or just leave it out entirely, adding a bit of water if it seems to need the moisture.

me personally, i'd sub cream for port if that's not what you prefer. & worchestershire is great in cheeseball recipes.

I know by now this is moot, but assuming alcohol is not the problem, I'd go for sherry, marsala, or saki.

Just wanted to point out that "port" is a unique flavor, and if you wanted the original recipe to taste the same, only port will do. There is no substitute.

I agree with KitchenElf, buy the wine.

Bob

I have to agree with CasperImproved - either use Port or omit it. There really is no substitute.

And for cheese mixtures, I much prefer Ruby Port to Tawny Port.

If I couldn't find the port (and believe me, I've lived places where I couldn't buy port, or only could buy real rotgut), I'd use sweet vermouth, sherry, or madiera wine. It wouldn't taste the same, but any of those flavors go well enough with blue cheese and fruit. I'd use one of them before I'd eliminate the booze. Unless your guests are going to be actually comparing your cheese ball to someone elsesm I suspect they'll love it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom