"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Head Chef

I was out of white wine once and used apple juice and it was great.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, Russel and GB stole my two answers! Dry Vermouth will keep in a cupboard for....well......a VERY long time! And boxed wine will stay good for about 9 months to a year. I keep mine in the cupboard right beside my stove...very handy!

If you did use the cooking wine I'm curious as to how it turned out?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Senior Cook

First, I did use the cooking wine. I diluted it 1/2 water as suggested. It turned out great.

Second. Thanks every body for the tips. I am going shopping today and I am buying a boxed white wine as suggested here. Good to know it will keep longer. I did have a bottle of white around here once but it disappeared. I think my son drank it last time he visited. lol.

Third. Since were on the subject of what wines to cook with, any suggestions for red wines for cooking?

Thanks all.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
  • Dry vermouth - has a nice effect in food similar to white wine and keeps really well.
  • That's what Julia Child used 90% of the time when a recipe called for white wine.
Quote:
Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.
"Wine snobs" might turn up their noses, but this is what most restaurants use. and Russ, you are quite right. The oaky stuff doesn't reduce well at all. It just gets oakier, and that's not particularly palatable. Sauvignon blanc or Pinot grigio/gris are much better to cook with.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Mr. P: Red wines for cooking!

Keep it simple. If you can find a nice box of Merlot or Syrah, that will pretty much keep until you can use it up. If you have a bottle of Beaujolais on hand, that's also a good choice. You want a fruity wine for cooking, not a tannic wine.

Wines with lots of tannins (such as Cabernet Sauvignon) will reduce to being a puckery mess, so no need to spend the money on that.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Mr. P: Red wines for cooking!

Keep it simple. If you can find a nice box of Merlot or Syrah, that will pretty much keep until you can use it up. If you have a bottle of Beaujolais on hand, that's also a good choice. You want a fruity wine for cooking, not a tannic wine.

Wines with lots of tannins (such as Cabernet Sauvignon) will reduce to being a puckery mess, so no need to spend the money on that.

Thank you muchly.
and by the way. I'm a Miss not a Mr.