"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 06-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Sub for white wine

Im making a Tarragon marinade for chicken breast. It calls for 1/4 cup white wine. Can I use white cooking wine? If so how much?
Please and thank you.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would not recommend "cooking" wine.
It has salt and other additives in it.
I would recommend using a wine you like to drink.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with Hoot. The only thing cooking wine is good for is...hmm...I can't think of anything. They load it up with salt so it is undrinkable. The stuff is horrible. Use real wine or skip the wine or find a different recipe.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I would not recommend "cooking" wine.
It has salt and other additives in it.
I would recommend using a wine you like to drink.
Actually I hate wine. I like beer myself lol. But thats not the reason. The reason is I have cooking wine not drinking wine and I really dont want to have to drive to town right now. I thought if I didnt add any extra salt would it be okay?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_psychosis View Post
Im making a Tarragon marinade for chicken breast. It calls for 1/4 cup white wine. Can I use white cooking wine? If so how much?
Please and thank you.
The short answer is...Yes! If that's all you have on hand ~~~ The long answer is be advised that it does contain a lot of salt, so you may want to watch the salt content of any other ingredients in your marinade. Or you could use 1/4 cup of vinegar + 1/4 cup water + 1 T. Sugar...Or maybe dilute the cooking wine with some water...Considering the hour...use what you have!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The short answer is...Yes! If that's all you have on hand ~~~ The long answer is be advised that it does contain a lot of salt, so you may want to watch the salt content of any other ingredients in your marinade. Or you could use 1/4 cup of vinegar + 1/4 cup water + 1 T. Sugar...Or maybe dilute the cooking wine with some water...Considering the hour...use what you have!

Enjoy!
Thank you very much!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

You might consider a white wine vinegar if you have it or another vinegar if you don't.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome!!! Next time you're in town, you may want to pick up a bottle of a dry (not sweet) white wine....Just for cooking purposes You might can find 1/2 bottles or even 1/4 bottles so it want get stale/flat between recipes....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I also don't drink much wine but like to use it for cooking purposes. I don't like to buy bottles of wine as I only use a cup or so for most dishes and the rest will tend to sit in the fridge too long before I use it up.

I've tried cooking wine and, like others have said, found it unsatisfactory. The two solutions I've found are:

• Dry vermouth - has a nice effect in food similar to white wine and keeps really well.
  • Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.
This is exactly what I do. I find it so convenient and tastewise it works just fine. I keep a box in my pantry with some Dixie cups next to it. The Dixie cups measure a half cup. Whenever I need wine for a recipe I grab a Dixie cup and measure out how much I need. It is always there and ready.