Subbing coconut cream or milk in curries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendydoris

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

My first thread! I want to substitute coconut milk and cream in curries - any suggestions. I thought yoghurt would be good, but have heard it splits when cooked with. Are there any good substitutes or will I have to stick with coconut?

I use yogurt or labne in curry all the time. once used sour cream came out fine. It doesn't curdle

Yogurt works well and is a traditional ingredient in curries. Cream is more of a western ingredient, though it's been making its way into Indian kitchens in dishes like Murgh Makhani.

If you are interested in keeping the meal on the lighter side, you might also try some tomato based curries. One of my favorite lamb curries has no dairy in it at all.

I have to say wouldn't it depend on the type of curry you make?
Coconut milk does provide a distinct taste to a curry, like a lot of Thai and Vietnamese curries I just can't imagine omitting the coconut cream/milk. Or is there a way?
With Indian style curry I usually use yoghurt or sour cream.

I think a common misconception is that coconut milk used in curries will taste overly cocont-y, like a coconut dessert. I know people who swear they hate coconut but adore the curries and soups I make that use it.

If you're not avoiding it for health reasons (such allergies or whatever) I think you should give it a try with an open mind. I can not think of anything that can replace the texture or subtle flavor it imparts.

Greetings Wendydoris

Hi all,

My first thread! I want to substitute coconut milk and cream in curries - any suggestions. I thought yoghurt would be good, but have heard it splits when cooked with. Are there any good substitutes or will I have to stick with coconut?

Hello Wendydoris, nice to meet you. I have omitted coconut milk and cream from several curry dishes that call for coconut milk or cream. Try your recipe without it. Should be fine. :)

Why do you need to omit the coconut milk? There are low fat versions available if that's the reason.

Back
Top Bottom