Substititute for apple pie filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have found what looks like a great recipe for apple pie cake but it calls for one can of comstock apple pie filling but I have access to no kinds of canned apple pie filling. Can I just put in fresh apples?

Yes, but you need to cook them a little, thicken with corn starch, and sweeten to taste. Or look on here for my fresh apple cake.

You basically have to make a pie filling from scratch and cook it, then use it in your cake.

The can contains 21 ounces, about 600 grams. That's apples and other ingredients.

Here's my recipe for apple pie filling:

3 Lb Apples, Cortlands
¾ C Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 Tb Flour
1 Tb Butter
1 tsp Lemon

This makes a very high pie. You could probably cut the recipe down to about 50%-60% of these amounts and be OK for your recipe. Make the filling then weigh out 21 ounces of it for the recipe. Use any leftover to top waffles or ice cream.

Last edited:
According to a quick google search Comstock apple pie filling is typically sold in 21 oz cans, but I believe that is by weight, not by volume, so unless you have a kitchen scale to measure out your home-made pie filling, I'm not sure how much that will really help!

You didn't really want to use the Comstock filling anyway. It has high fructose corn syrup in it.

If you Google Apple Pie Filling you will find like 7 million recipes for apple pie filling. Pick one, or pick several and use the parts of each one that you like best.

I have found what looks like a great recipe for apple pie cake but it calls for one can of comstock apple pie filling but I have access to no kinds of canned apple pie filling. Can I just put in fresh apples?

I use Granny Smith apples to make my pie filling. To estimate a "can", I'd use 2 apples, sliced thin, maybe 1/8 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp apple pie spice and 1TBsp butter, stir and microwave until the apples are soft and the butter melted. That might work as a substitute filling.

Hope this helps.:chef:

According to a quick google search Comstock apple pie filling is typically sold in 21 oz cans, but I believe that is by weight, not by volume, so unless you have a kitchen scale to measure out your home-made pie filling, I'm not sure how much that will really help!

If you measure out 8 oz by liquid, it will weigh out as 8 oz on a scale. So 21 oz is 21 oz, no mattere how you measure it. Minus the container. :)

If you measure out 8 oz by liquid, it will weigh out as 8 oz on a scale. So 21 oz is 21 oz, no mattere how you measure it. Minus the container. :)

Actually, apple pie filling is probably more dense than water, so a 1 cup measuring cup full (8 oz by volume) will weigh almost (9 oz). Like you said, minus the container.
I don't think it really matters though, the more apples the better for me! :yum:

The only reason I know this is because when I make soap, the measurements have to be much more exact and I have to weigh everything. Weights and volume measures aren't always the same.

Back
Top Bottom