Substitute for bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I don't eat pork and there are many recipes that have bacon in it. I would like to know what would be the best substitute for bacon? :pig: (lol)

There really is no substitute if you don't eat pork (or really even if you do). I would just leave it out of the recipe of possible or pick a different recipe if that one is dependent on bacon. There are things like turkey bacon, but they taste nothing like the real thing IMO.

It's strange, but I have always avoided bacon like the plague, and I always assumed it was pork. Thanks for the help guys...

Bacon is pork, all pork, always.

There are bacon substitutes made with turkey and tofu. They are not real bacon. Sorry if I was not clear in my original post.

It is, but I guess for healthier options, they are trying to duplicate the taste with other products ( such as turkey, tofu as mentioned above)

If it is a recipe that is just interested in the bacon flavor ( ive seen recipes where u have to fry the cut bacon in the oil first, then add the other ingredients), you can just add some kind of liquid smoke, which is what i do, to kinda give it that kind of flavor. But if its a recipe that calls for bacon itself, you can use the turkey ( which ive never tried since im a vegetarian) or you can try the morning star farm bacon strips( found in the frozen section, usually near the sausages, and is some kind of soy product). But if you are a meat eater, i would stay away from the tofu, or imitation meat bacons, because i can assure you u wont be satisfied :)

There really is no substitute if you don't eat pork (or really even if you do). I would just leave it out of the recipe of possible or pick a different recipe if that one is dependent on bacon. There are things like turkey bacon, but they taste nothing like the real thing IMO.
Despite not eating pork, I can understand why pork bacon would taste better than Turkey bacon. It's because pork is extremely fatty. And fat is simply delicious, lol..

Despite not eating pork, I can understand why pork bacon would taste better than Turkey bacon. It's because pork is extremely fatty. And fat is simply delicious, lol..

And with that said, you can imagine how crappy the tofu bacon tastes :LOL:

Although, its ok if you use it not as you would use bacon itself.

Bacon is pork, all pork, always.

There are bacon substitutes made with turkey and tofu. They are not real bacon. Sorry if I was not clear in my original post.
I see thanks, so I was right after all (when you see the word "bacon" it's always pork)..

And with that said, you can imagine how crappy the tofu bacon tastes :LOL:

Although, its ok if you use it not as you would use bacon itself.
To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what tofu is. It seems quite popular, but I never bothered buying it, or even learn what it is.. I'm curious now and will look it up.

Although, many ' bacon bits' that they sell to put on salads are actually flavored textured vegetable protein. My guess is the real bacon bits taste better too , but ill never know

there is also a "Beef" bacon. I have had it once. It does not taste like pork bacon it wasn't terrible though... it tasted more close to regular bacon than turkey bacon which I really cannot stand.

i have never seen or heard of beef bacon, but I have to believe that would be the best tasting faux bacon out of the options listed.

I love turkey bacon as long as it is cooked very crisp (I microwave mine).
I agree it is no comparison to regular bacon, but I try not to compare the two, I enjoy turkey bacon for what it is in itself.

i have never seen or heard of beef bacon, but I have to believe that would be the best tasting faux bacon out of the options listed.

I do not find it bad tasting... just oddly beefy for bacon. We bough it when my brothers GF was on a no-pork kick before she "went veggie"

the stuff they carry in my Shoprite is
images

it is a Smithfield subsidiary I believe... I could not find much out about it via google though

maybe I don't eat beef jerky it is one of the few foods that grosses me out I have no idea why.

It cooks up like bacon and has a texture like bacon and is fatty/greasy/smoky like bacon but it smells and tastes of beef.... I want to say it did not get quite as crispy but I don't remember. I have never had reason to buy it again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom