"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
1/2 Cup Grape Juice + A squeeze of Lemon...
1/2 Cup Soft White Wine....
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
There really is no substitute for the flavor of balsamic, even in a bake recipe. Better to find a different recipe than settle.

And no, most supermarket stuff is not "caramel colored red wine vinegar" - it's just immature balsamic (aged less than 3 years). There is a night and day difference there.
__________________

__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
There really is no substitute for the flavor of balsamic, even in a bake recipe. Better to find a different recipe than settle.

And no, most supermarket stuff is not "caramel colored red wine vinegar" - it's just immature balsamic (aged less than 3 years). There is a night and day difference there.
The ingredients label might surprise you. Even many of the "aged" ones are still red wine vinegar and grape must which is where the balsamic flavors come from and the aging claims. Costco balsamic, which is decent for the price, and claims a 15 year aging, lists ingredients as red wine vinegar and grape must as the ingredients.
__________________
thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dallas, TX or thereabouts
Posts: 111
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/comstock/recipeDetails.asp?id=5C640FFBFD564d26B4CC5ECE5F654 CAF

A quick Internet search discovered the above recipe which sure does sound like it might be the recipe that JoAnn is considering. Vinegar seems like a weird ingredient for this type of recipe and 1/2 cup seems like a lot.

First thing I would do is contact the web site and try to confirm that the recipe is correct and there is not some sort of error in the ingredient list.
__________________
Randy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/comstock/recipeDetails.asp?id=5C640FFBFD564d26B4CC5ECE5F654 CAF

A quick Internet search discovered the above recipe which sure does sound like it might be the recipe that JoAnn is considering. Vinegar seems like a weird ingredient for this type of recipe and 1/2 cup seems like a lot.

First thing I would do is contact the web site and try to confirm that the recipe is correct and there is not some sort of error in the ingredient list.
I just got off the phone with the web site and she said that she had the hard copy of the recipe and that is what the recipe called for. She said to give a try and call her back and let her know how it turned out. If I ever buy any balsamic vinegar I might do that. Thanks everyone, you people are great.
__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless View Post
The ingredients label might surprise you. Even many of the "aged" ones are still red wine vinegar and grape must which is where the balsamic flavors come from and the aging claims. Costco balsamic, which is decent for the price, and claims a 15 year aging, lists ingredients as red wine vinegar and grape must as the ingredients.
Sounds like a condimento grade - aged must cut with red wine vinegar.

Consortium grades, I'll grant, are more challenging to locate, and significantly more expensive.

Back on point, though.

The recipe in question calls for 1/2 cup of balsamic. If it was looking for a true Tradizionale, there's no way it'd be asking for that much.
__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,264
IMO using good balsamic vinegar in a cookie recipe would be a waste.

I'm sure the cherries might get brightened by the vinegar, but IMO the smidgen of must they would contain if balsamic were used instead of red wine vinegar would hardly be noticed.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
IMO using good balsamic vinegar in a cookie recipe would be a waste.

I'm sure the cherries might get brightened by the vinegar, but IMO the smidgen of must they would contain if balsamic were used instead of red wine vinegar would hardly be noticed.
I don't know. Even commercial fake balsamic has a dramatically different flavor than regular red wine vinegar. I wouldn't sub red wine vinegar for balsamic in any sweet recipe without increasing the sugar substantially.
__________________

__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.