"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

1/2 Cup Grape Juice + A squeeze of Lemon...
1/2 Cup Soft White Wine....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook

There really is no substitute for the flavor of balsamic, even in a bake recipe. Better to find a different recipe than settle.

And no, most supermarket stuff is not "caramel colored red wine vinegar" - it's just immature balsamic (aged less than 3 years). There is a night and day difference there.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
There really is no substitute for the flavor of balsamic, even in a bake recipe. Better to find a different recipe than settle.

And no, most supermarket stuff is not "caramel colored red wine vinegar" - it's just immature balsamic (aged less than 3 years). There is a night and day difference there.
The ingredients label might surprise you. Even many of the "aged" ones are still red wine vinegar and grape must which is where the balsamic flavors come from and the aging claims. Costco balsamic, which is decent for the price, and claims a 15 year aging, lists ingredients as red wine vinegar and grape must as the ingredients.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior Cook

http://www.birdseyefoods.com/comstock/recipeDetails.asp?id=5C640FFBFD564d26B4CC5ECE5F654 CAF

A quick Internet search discovered the above recipe which sure does sound like it might be the recipe that JoAnn is considering. Vinegar seems like a weird ingredient for this type of recipe and 1/2 cup seems like a lot.

First thing I would do is contact the web site and try to confirm that the recipe is correct and there is not some sort of error in the ingredient list.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/comstock/recipeDetails.asp?id=5C640FFBFD564d26B4CC5ECE5F654 CAF

A quick Internet search discovered the above recipe which sure does sound like it might be the recipe that JoAnn is considering. Vinegar seems like a weird ingredient for this type of recipe and 1/2 cup seems like a lot.

First thing I would do is contact the web site and try to confirm that the recipe is correct and there is not some sort of error in the ingredient list.
I just got off the phone with the web site and she said that she had the hard copy of the recipe and that is what the recipe called for. She said to give a try and call her back and let her know how it turned out. If I ever buy any balsamic vinegar I might do that. Thanks everyone, you people are great.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless View Post
The ingredients label might surprise you. Even many of the "aged" ones are still red wine vinegar and grape must which is where the balsamic flavors come from and the aging claims. Costco balsamic, which is decent for the price, and claims a 15 year aging, lists ingredients as red wine vinegar and grape must as the ingredients.
Sounds like a condimento grade - aged must cut with red wine vinegar.

Consortium grades, I'll grant, are more challenging to locate, and significantly more expensive.

Back on point, though.

The recipe in question calls for 1/2 cup of balsamic. If it was looking for a true Tradizionale, there's no way it'd be asking for that much.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

IMO using good balsamic vinegar in a cookie recipe would be a waste.

I'm sure the cherries might get brightened by the vinegar, but IMO the smidgen of must they would contain if balsamic were used instead of red wine vinegar would hardly be noticed.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
IMO using good balsamic vinegar in a cookie recipe would be a waste.

I'm sure the cherries might get brightened by the vinegar, but IMO the smidgen of must they would contain if balsamic were used instead of red wine vinegar would hardly be noticed.
I don't know. Even commercial fake balsamic has a dramatically different flavor than regular red wine vinegar. I wouldn't sub red wine vinegar for balsamic in any sweet recipe without increasing the sugar substantially.