Substitute for Cream in this recipe (scones)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
I don't have any cream, what can I substitute for the cream in this recipe?

I have evaporated milk, condensed milk, whole milk.

Alton Brown Scones

Thank you, was hoping to make it this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the condensed milk sweetened? I would use the evaporated milk.

You can use the condensed milk in this case, for scones, and probably not notice the difference.

Scones with dried cranberries and/or cherries! Yummmm!!!
I'm not a currant fan, but enjoy!

Selkie I have dried cranberries! I can't wait, been craving scones for over 2w now. I may do some with chocolate chips for the kiddos.

The sweetened condensed milk has other ingredients in it, so it would alter your recipe more so than your other choices.

1 batch in with evap milk, waiting to see how it is before doing the choco chip batch. Isnt 1/3 cup sugar too little? I'm wondering if it will be sweet enough. Its my 1st time making scones.

Thanks for the replies, I can always depend on this forum.

Scones aren't really all that sweet, just a bit sweeter than biscuits. You can sprinkle some sugar on top before baking, too.

I would have liked them a bit sweeter so with the kiddos choco chip batch i did sprinkle some sugar on top.

They are yummy tho!

I think I'm going to make some now... It's really cold and snowy here, so having the oven on this morning may be nice!

I didn't have cream, or any evaporated milk, so just used 2%. I also used 1/2 whole wheat flour. Sprinkled with turbinado sugar. I didn't roll them out, just patted them, and cut into rectangles, kinda rustic.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 262
Wow you're quick!

Here's a pic of my chocolate chip, sprinkled with regular sugar. I also just patted it out.

img_855154_0_e2ea794053405735c4aecb03cf8d725b.jpg

oops sorry so big. Should have added more chocolate chips, ahh next time.

cool!
I forgot to mention that I used all butter, to make up for not using cream. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it...)

Evaporated milk for sure. Condensed milk is NOT the choice for scones.

I concur! Not condensed milk for scones. way too sweet, unless the recipe is written for it. The evaporated milk will give you the most "cream-like" results.

Just under a mile. It's down to the 20's and 30's, dipping to single digits overnight. I may have to go out and whack the snow off the branches. The trees have barely begun to turn, let alone drop. I'll snap a pic... in the background you can see a bit of the foothills, there's a mountain in all that white!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 239

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom