Substitute for Preserved Ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefcook

Assistant Cook
Is there something I can substitute for this ingredient? What is the flavor profile the black-eyed peas recipe is trying to create by using it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The recipe just lists 1/4 cup preserved ginger, chopped. I doubt in this case if it is referring to sugared ginger.

Hmm. Not sure what you mean by preserved ginger. I have candied ginger and pickled ginger, as well as a frozen ginger root for slicing and grating. Ginger has such a distinct flavor. It would be hard to swap it out. Fresh sliced gingerroot? Powdered ginger, which has a totally different taste?

Last edited:
The biggest hits I get on this recipe are these:

Black-Eyed Peas with Ginger Recipe
Black-Eyed Peas with Ginger Recipe from CDKitchen.com

I love fresh ginger and haven't used preserved ginger. I'll suggest you use an amount of less of fresh, grated ginger. Perhaps 2 tablespoons, or more if you like ginger.

My basis is that 1/4 cup (per the recipes) is = to US 4 tablespoons, and I surmise that preserved ginger is less potent.

I make my own crystallized ginger. I doubt the crystallized ginger would be any kind of substitute. It is nothing like fresh, and not usable IMO except in baking breads, cookies or desserts. (Or munching, which is why I make mine.)

IMO powdered ginger has no application except in baking. (Cookies, cakes, etc. IMO totally useless in savory recipes.)

The recipes look delicious!

Last edited:
Is there something I can substitute for this ingredient? What is the flavor profile the black-eyed peas recipe is trying to create by using it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's hard to decide without seeing the recipe, can you at least link to it? What other than the ginger is in there?

Back
Top Bottom