Substitute for soy sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I can't eat soy of any kind anymore, but I love the way soy sauce tastes. (PS - also can't do much salt either)
I want to continue cooking some asian foods, but without soy, it's nearly impossible.
Does anyone know of a product that I could use to kind-of get that flavor back?
Ironchef - hope you're reading this!

Wow - 2 totally different ideas - thank you -
I think I may try Bob's first, except I'll change out my beef broth for bouillon (since most bouillons seem to include soy, by one of it's many names)
The other sounds like it may be tasty for basting on chicken during the last minutes of grilling :)

And, a 3rd option (although like soy it is a bit salty) is fish sauce - "nuoc mam" in Vietnamese and "nam pla" in Thai. It's used in Southeast Asian cooking like soy sauce is used in Chinese cooking.

It smells bad, and taste just as bad, right out of the bottle - but when used in cooking (especially a stir fry) it mellows out and loses the bad smell and taste. I started using it about 20 years ago in place of soy in most cases ... think it was because of an episode of the Frugal Gourmet ... and our Korean/Vietnamese market carries it.

If you can find them - both "Squid" and "Shrimp" brands are premium quality and have less salt and smell less fishy than some others I've tried - I prefer the Shrimp brand.

Some fish sauces have added other stuff - sugar, hydrolyzed wheat protein, molasses, MSG ... etc. Read the ingredients on the label.

I'd try oyster sauce. It's low sodium, there's no soy in it, and it has a less, shall we say pungent, flavor than fish sauce.

hmmm...good info - one question though - am I correct in my assumption that the shrimp, squid and oyster sauces still taste like (duh) fish? hmm.

PS - thanks IC!

In my opinion, oyster and fish sauce are not good substitutes for soy sauce. None of them taste anything like each other. They are all dark in color and have a salty component, but that is where the similarities end. I do not know of anything that can really be subbed for soy sauce.

When cooked into a dish, oyster and fish sauce do not taste anything like fish.

In my opinion, oyster and fish sauce are not good substitutes for soy sauce. None of them taste anything like each other. They are all dark in color and have a salty component, but that is where the similarities end. I do not know of anything that can really be subbed for soy sauce.

When cooked into a dish, oyster and fish sauce do not taste anything like fish.

Exactly. Even different types of soy sauces (i.e. Chinese vs. Japanese) will make a difference in the flavor towards a finished dish. Fish and oyster sauces will give you another flavor component, but in no shape or form will it ever be a substitute for the flavor of soy sauce.

How about some vinegar and molasses in an apple juice vehicle? Maybe some other spices tossed in, like chinese five spice??

"Squid" and "Shrimp" are brands of fish sauce. "Oyster" is a type of sauce which is available under several brand names.

But, like in most cases of "substitutions" - GB and IC are right - nothing will taste the same.

Wow - 2 totally different ideas - thank you -
I think I may try Bob's first, except I'll change out my beef broth for bouillon (since most bouillons seem to include soy, by one of it's many names)
The other sounds like it may be tasty for basting on chicken during the last minutes of grilling :)
As I read it, you need the dry bouillon and the vinegar and low the amount of water is the wet ingredient that activates the bouillon. Using broth would yield a different result.

Back
Top Bottom