"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Substitute for tofu?

I'm not supposed to eat soy or soy products. So what can I use as a substitute for tofu?

I know it depends on the recipe. Any ideas? All I can think of is what Danes call "egg cake". It's similar to an omelette (flour can be added), but you put it in a container to cool. It takes on the shape of the container. Then you can cut slices for various uses, e.g., to put on a sandwich.

Anything tofu-like I can make out of nuts or other beans?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

In many dishes, tofu IS a substitute for other proteins such as beef, chicken or pork. And like you said, it depends on the dish as to what can be substituted for it. For something like egg-drop soup or wonton soup, just leaving it out is simple and it won't be missed since tofu has no flavor of its own. It depends upon sauces or broths to give it taste. And the texture is nothing to write home about...

If you were ask about a specific dish, it would be easier to give you an acceptable answer.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

Soft tofu has a texture a lot like custard, so I think this "egg cake" of yours would be a good choice, tax.

Tofu is the coagulated curd of soy "milk." Soy bean is cooked, mashed, then squeezed of its milky liquid. I've never heard of it being done with any other sort of bean. And I have doubts that the same can be done to almond milk.

The curd of mammalian milk is cheese. For firm tofu, you might try substituting with a neutral tasting cheese. Indian paneer comes to mind.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

This may sound strange but, I am beginning to think that boneless,skinless, chicken breast is the new Tofu for carnivores. They are pretty much tasteless until combined with other more flavorful things.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This may sound strange but, I am beginning to think that boneless,skinless, chicken breast is the new Tofu for carnivores. They are pretty much tasteless until combined with other more flavorful things.

Thank you, Aunt Bea! Finally someone said what I've been thinking. I just couldn't find the words to say it without insulting anybody.

When I see recipes that call for it, I just think, "rubber chicken", then think about what the dish would taste like with thigh and drumstick meat.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

BEEF!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
BEEF!
Beef won't be bland enough for some recipes

Thanks for the great suggestions. I guess I forgot that tofu was often a substitute for meat
Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Chicken wouldnt work in this recipe unless it was ground and combined with a binder like chicken meatloaf.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Soft tofu has a texture a lot like custard, so I think this "egg cake" of yours would be a good choice, tax.

Tofu is the coagulated curd of soy "milk." Soy bean is cooked, mashed, then squeezed of its milky liquid. I've never heard of it being done with any other sort of bean. And I have doubts that the same can be done to almond milk.

The curd of mammalian milk is cheese. For firm tofu, you might try substituting with a neutral tasting cheese. Indian paneer comes to mind.
You're quite right about the cheese. I hadn't thought of it that way. Yes, paneer or cottage cheese would probably work in many recipes.

I don't see why you couldn't make curds and a "cheese" with almond milk. I'll have to do some experimenting. I know people make almond milk and cashew milk yoghurt.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

Thank you, Aunt Bea! Finally someone said what I've been thinking. I just couldn't find the words to say it without insulting anybody.

When I see recipes that call for it, I just think, "rubber chicken", then think about what the dish would taste like with thigh and drumstick meat.

i never buy chicken breasts except for chicken divan. thighs are my choice. have a nice taste and are generally very moist. tofu is something i never buy either.

Tags
soy, substitute, tofu