Substituting Butter- so many options!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexisg

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I was just wondering opinions on butter substitutes. I realized recently (when I was at the store) that there are so many options today! I purchased a few different brands (because I wanted to bake and cook with them) and have been testing them out recently. One that I purchased, MELT buttery spread, was surprisingly very tasty. The carton says it contains virgin coconut oil and flaxseed oil... does anyone know the benefits of these ingredients? I've read articles about virgin coconut oil, but haven't really cooked with it before. Would love to hear all of your thoughts! Thanks:)

Coconut oil is a short-chained saturated fat, which is supposed to be better for you than animal-derived saturated fat like lard or real butter, yet it can be used in many of the same places lard, butter, or hydrogenated shortening is/was normally used like cookies.

Flaxseed oil contains omega-3's which is good for coronary health. It contains omega-6's as well, which are good for us, but most oils, such as peanut oil have omega-6's in abundance. Direct heat denatures omega-3's and turns them into trans-fats, so they should not be used for frying, but are generally safe in baking.

Would love to hear all of your thoughts! Thanks:)

I have never seen any scientific studies that back up the claim that coconut oil does not raise serum blood cholestrol levels, just like any other saturated fat does. The only sources that claim that coconut oil is better for you than other saturated fats are ones that promote and sell cocount oil products. Please check your sources when evaluating claims concerning what fats raise the bad cholestrol levels. And look for links for the scientific studies. The coconut oil producers only claim things and give no details regarding any scientific studies. True, unbiased claims will be backed up with links to studies to support their claims.

Personally I avoid coconut oil products and I love butter.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat. It will raise your triglyceride levels, just like any saturated fat. And elevated triglycerides will raise your overall cholesterol. Coconut oil is unique in that it is one of the very few saurated fats that is not animal based. It has no cholesterol whatsoever.

rawr! butter > all cept for the heart attack afterwards haha. I say some good exercise, stress relief, and good food balance is the way to go without having much health issues or concerns. Enjoy the taste of butter! xD

On the other note:
Coconut oil does have it's benefits as stated above. I would have to say that is pretty healthy. I shall order a bottle next week and try to see what it tastes like in cooking because I am quite curious myself.

masteraznchefjr:

As far as the texture that coconut oil imparts to baked goods, I love it. I use it mostly in cookies. Virgin coconut oil is fragrant and flavorful and is good for sweets.
For savory goods, I recommend using refined coconut oil.

Because it is a saturated fat and I am a bit on the heavy side, I only use it on occasion.

I've never seen the buttery spread mention above. Do you mind posting brand and/or maybe evn picture, please. I would love to find good butter substitude, to get rid of dairy.

Recently when I have substituted for butter in cooking I have been using duck fat. Oh that is good stuff. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom