Substituting buttermilk for whole milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyce01

Assistant Cook
This is my first time on this site, so I hope I am doing it right.:) My recipe calls for whole milk, but I only have skim and buttermilk in my frig. Can I substitute an equal amount of buttermilk for the whole milk?

Joyce01

I am making a banana cake. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Thanks for the help!!

Joyce01

Substituting buttermilk for whole milk

OOPS!! :ohmy: Forgot to add the star ingredients to that recipe: 2 mashed bananas.

Joyce01

Oh, i'd love that!

incidently, I only ever have skimmed milk in unless i've bought ahead for something specific and for everything I've subbed skimmed for full cream milk its worked so far. If I know its something that has to keep I add alittle cream if I have it, or a little melted butter, but most times I have to say I just use skimmed and its fine. But as you have the buttermilk in, i agree i think it will improve this recipe and be delicious!

Buttermilk and whole milk is completely different things. I don't know if it will work or not, but it just doesn't sound like it would.

Buttermilk and whole milk is completely different things. I don't know if it will work or not, but it just doesn't sound like it would.
:) Think buttermilk pancakes I also have a corn bread recipe that calls for buttermilk and what about coffee cakes or kugel hopf using sour milk or sour cream kind of the same thing.

I agree - it should be even better with the buttermilk. The buttermilk will activate the baking soda, and the baking soda with alkalize the acid in the buttermilk. You should have an nice, tender, result.

I agree - it should be even better with the buttermilk. The buttermilk will activate the baking soda, and the baking soda with alkalize the acid in the buttermilk. You should have an nice, tender, result.

what he said

I use buttermilk/yogurt in baking for quick breads, pancakes, corn bread. It is a natural in baking.

Sorry I still don't see how buttermilk could be a substitude for whole milk. It may be great in the end, but it would diferent from the original recipes intent.

Back
Top Bottom