"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Sous Chef

i get really small wines for cooking since i'm not a wine drinker.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommas3boys View Post
I am looking to make a Mozzarella Chicken and the dry white wine is part of the sauce. I was looking to see if there was a substitute because I did not have the dry white one hand and no way to the store at the moment and was thinking of maybe a non alcohol for my boys ages 9, 4, 2.
I've cooked food with wine in it for our daughter her entire life. To begin with, unless you're making something like Beef Bourguignon, you're probably not adding that much. Second, as was mentioned above, the majority of the alcohol evaporates off in the cooking process, and what's left behind is such a minuscule amount it won't hurt anything. When it comes to kids, I honestly feel more comfortable adding wine to food than sugar, as the latter has a much more adverse effect on their behavior.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Here is a chart that details just how much alcohol remains in a liquid environment after cooking for various times. Pardon the misalignment of the percentages.

I have always added wine to sauces and never had an issue with its effecting anyone.

Cooking Method
Alcohol Remaining

Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat
85%
Flamed
75%
Stirred in and baked or simmered for:
15 minutes
40%
30 minutes
35%
45 minutes
30%
1 hour
25%
1 1/2 hours
20%
2 hours
10%
2 1/2 hours
5%
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

OK thank you I will have to check some out..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Welcome to DC. I like to use stock if I replace wine. Chicken stock with a squeeze of lemon is a nice touch .Both go good with your chicken dish. If I use white wine I usually use an inexpensive White Dry Vermouth. I like the extra flavor.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Half Baked

Martinelli's sparkling cider is pretty dry and might work well for you. The kids can drink the rest.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

If there is no way to get to store, I'd say juice is a good soultin. As far as ammount of alcohol content for kids after it was cooked, it really is not a problem. Personally I would not use dry wine for other reasons, but that just me.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommas3boys View Post
I am looking to make a Mozzarella Chicken and the dry white wine is part of the sauce. I was looking to see if there was a substitute because I did not have the dry white one hand and no way to the store at the moment and was thinking of maybe a non alcohol for my boys ages 9, 4, 2.
If cooked out properly, wine-based sauces do not contain any significant alcohol (cooked properly, the alcohol boils off) so shouldn't be a problem for children or anyone on medication (although it's always wise to check the latter). Obviously, if you have a cultural reason for avoiding alcohol, the buying of wine may be a problem in the first place.

It's a good idea to remember that if the wine isn't fit to drink it isn't fit to cook with. However, this doesn't mean you have to use expensive wine for cooking. Choose something you like the taste of. Any time you have a bottle of wine and you don't use it all you could freeze it in an ice cube tray. That way you will have a little wine for cooking when you need it. Don't bother drnking the defrosted wine though as it will taste a little tired .

In the absence of available white wine, cider is often a good substitute but, again, make sure it's a decent quality one, not an artificially carbonated one or a non-alcoholic one. (Don't use non-alcoholic or de-alcoholised wine either. It tastes vile in cooking!)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If cooked out properly, wine-based sauces do not contain any significant alcohol (cooked properly, the alcohol boils off) so shouldn't be a problem for children or anyone on medication (although it's always wise to check the latter). Obviously, if you have a cultural reason for avoiding alcohol, the buying of wine may be a problem in the first place.

Andy posted the alcohol burn off chart above.

Depending on how the sauce is made, a significant amount of alcohol could still remain. It never boils off completely no matter what you do.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Andy posted the alcohol burn off chart above.

Depending on how the sauce is made, a significant amount of alcohol could still remain. It never boils off completely no matter what you do.
Given the amount of wine used in most (I say "most") recipes the fraction of alcohol left after cooking off is miniscule not "significant"

Tags
wine