"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Substituting Dry white wine

Hello everyone My name is Joanne and I have just joined the forums. I have been trying new recipes for my family and have been coming across a few that ask for dry white wine. Was wondering if there was a substitute for it? I have been told that I can use distilled white vinegar as a substitute. Is that correct? Thank you all for your time and help. Have great evening.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC. I don't think I would use distilled white vinegar, apple juice or cider would be better. Maybe some white balsamic vinegar. Or just plain water. Don't use cooking wine, it's really nasty. If you do use wine, use something that's good for drinking.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Ok thank you for your help I will have to try the apple juice or cider and see how that works out.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

A lot depends on what recipe this is for. What are you making?

Sometimes no substitution is the best choice. Apple juice or cider will make your dish sweeter.

Are you trying to avoid alcohol all together?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC. I don't think I would use distilled white vinegar, apple juice or cider would be better. Maybe some white balsamic vinegar. Or just plain water. Don't use cooking wine, it's really nasty. If you do use wine, use something that's good for drinking.
I agree Dawg, but think just a little mild white vinegar (thinking maybe rice wine vinegar) with the apple juice would be a closer match to cooking with white wine. Just a thought.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Is there a reason not to use wine? If expense is a concern, you don't have to use expensive wine for cooking. In fact, you're better off if you don't. If you have a Trader Joe's anywhere close by, you can buy their Charles Shaw brand, which costs $2-3 a bottle (depending on where in the country you live). It makes great cooking wine. But any inexpensive wine will do. As Dawgluver says, just don't buy anything labelled "cooking wine", as it can contain salt and other weird ingredients.

If there's another reason you are unable to use wine, you can usually just replace it with chicken or vegetable stock.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Head Chef

My go-to substitution for dry white wine is chicken stock w/ a squeeze of lemon juice.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I would go with the chicken stock and a squeeze of lemon too. White vinegar is not the same as white wine. Cider is also a good if the white wine was supposed to be a sweet wine.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I am looking to make a Mozzarella Chicken and the dry white wine is part of the sauce. I was looking to see if there was a substitute because I did not have the dry white one hand and no way to the store at the moment and was thinking of maybe a non alcohol for my boys ages 9, 4, 2.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not much alcohol left after cooking the sauce with wine. It adds a nice flavor, and nobody is going to get drunk on the pasta sauce. You might consider unsweetened grape juice, forgot about that. They also have nonalcoholic champagne and wine.

Check out some of Giada deLaurentis's recipes, she cooks with wine a lot, and her daughter is 5.

Tags
wine