Substitution for a brisket...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
So y'all got me interested in smoking a brisket. I went shopping yesterday, could not find a brisket...what else might that cut be called? A brisket, a brisket, shopping for a brisket....

Briskets are pretty hard to find here, too.
Can you find corned beef? Smoke a corned beef brisket and make pastrami.

I have found it helpful, if you don't see what you want in the meat department, to ask the meat manager. They often have stuff they haven't put out. At the very least, they can order one for you.

I have found it helpful, if you don't see what you want in the meat department, to ask the meat manager. They often have stuff they haven't put out. At the very least, they can order one for you.

Do you know how that works by me? I've asked the butcher just that thing. Here's how it works; He walks from behind his counter to the meat cooler I've already looked at a hundred times and looks himself :LOL:
Our stores are, If you don't see it, we don't have it. :wacko:
Fortunately there's a Wegmans not too awful far away. They seem to carry what even meat markets don't have. Even tri-tip!

Do you know how that works by me? I've asked the butcher just that thing. Here's how it works; He walks from behind his counter to the meat cooler I've already looked at a hundred times and looks himself :LOL:...

Clearly a man who is committed to customer service!

Brisket

So y'all got me interested in smoking a brisket. I went shopping yesterday, could not find a brisket...what else might that cut be called? A brisket, a brisket, shopping for a brisket....
How far East are you?......There are places and places here in Toronto....I have a Costco nearby that sells the best briskets, and they're cheaper than in the regular butcher shops

How far East are you?......There are places and places here in Toronto....I have a Costco nearby that sells the best briskets, and they're cheaper than in the regular butcher shops
Thanks--about five hours <g>. I'm sure if I go to the butcher shops in Ottawa I will be able to find a brisket...I was just hoping I didnt have to do that. I think I'll try the abbatoir/butcher shop. There's another one not far away where I used to have my 1/2 steer dressed. The son took over when the father died, I haven't been there in ages, but have been thinking marrow bones for beef stock. I can get a huge bag for $10 (or I could 2 years ago).

Tri-tip can be prepared in much the same way as brisket. It has similar texture too. Remember to reduce cooking times for the smaller cut.

brisket

gawd Siegel: I'm almost 85 years young and I remember my Bubby using the expression "brus deckel"......I really can't remember if it looked any different than brisket as I knew and know it!!! Thanks for the memory!!!!

haha! That was from my great grandmother! She would be 105 if she were still with us. I thought my grandmother told me "breast deckel" and the butchers were very confused.... As no one asks for deckel anymore let alone a breast of it.

Back
Top Bottom