Substitution for alkaline powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would leave it out completely. I don't think it has anything to do with making the ramen noodles themselves, but seems to be added for someone's health benefit. Regular recipe is:

• 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • Oil for frying

I agree with Mcnerd. "Alkaline Powder" is nothing but a supposed "health" supplement of dubious value. Definitely not a necessary supporting player in any recipe. No substitution necessary - just leave it out.

I would assume that the recipe's reference to alkaline powder is another way of saying Baking Powder. Baking Powder is Alkaline in itself

Baking powder contains an acid -- the opposite of alkaline

Actually, baking powder contains both an alkali and an acid. It's more logical to assume baking soda is another term for alkaline powder. (I'm not sure if that's the case)

Oh for goodness sake! Once again I can easily see where this whole discussion is going to do nothing but confuse the OP as to what to do.

Regardless of how you feel about alkaline powder, baking powder, & baking soda - NONE of these items are ingredients for homemade ramen noodles. Don't believe me? Do a websearch like I just did for "homemade ramen noodles". Not an iota of alkaline powder, baking powder, or baking soda in sight.

Again dear original poster - don't worry about a substitute; just leave the "alkaline powder" out.

well noodles a success! without the alkalaine water or powder or w/e. I just used bread flour instead of all purpose and then it turned out nice and chewy noodles and springy
9516_1251930109513_1567320045_31238542_4942045_n.jpg

I used to make a lot of noodles. The alkaline powder or solution is used very sparingly to give it a chewy texture. Sometimes I use & sometimes I don't depending on the types of noodles. You can get a nice chewy texture by using bread flour like what masteraznchefjr said. Homemade noodles is still the best. A pasta machine will make the work a lot easier.

authentic ramen calls for kansui, a mix of sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate providing an alkaline which helps make the yellowish color and gives them a little "chew" without being sticky,have been doing some digging and can't seem to find a good substitute

Back
Top Bottom