Substitution for dry sherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

driewerlisa

Assistant Cook
Hi! I'm new!
I'm making mushroom pate and it calls for dry sherry. Can I sub sweet marsala? I am guessing I could use dry marsala and I will be running to the store!
thanks!

You can use anything you want, but
I am guessing I could use dry marsala and I will be running to the store!
since you're going to the store, buy the Sherry. I guess I don't understand your question.
Anyway, welcome to DC, driewerlisa

I would get a dry sherry. Dry sherry and sweet marsala are totally different flavors. Often you can find small bottles of sherry at liquor or wine stores. Sherry also keeps a while in the refrigerator, and is not a bad drink.
Above all else, don't get the supermarket cooking sherry.

I would get a dry sherry. Dry sherry and sweet marsala are totally different flavors. Often you can find small bottles of sherry at liquor or wine stores. Sherry also keeps a while in the refrigerator, and is not a bad drink.
Above all else, don't get the supermarket cooking sherry.

I finally found the real sherry to cook with, but until then I had to get cooking sherry. To be honest, nice spices. It ain't such a bad thing.

"Cooking sherry" from the supermarket is salty and pretty nasty and shouldn't be used in recipes that call for real sherry .

Chinese cooking wine is pretty much the same as sherry. You can find it in your local Asian grocery store. I don't buy sherry anymore now that I've found the Chinese cooking wine.

chef love said:
is cooking sherry the same as dry sherry ?

No. Most cooking sherry contains salt and other stuff nonsherry. You're probably better off using something you would drink, like dry sherry.

Welcome to DC!

Cooking sherry, or any other cooking wines are low quality wines laced with salt so as to make them undrinkable. I think they are a thowback to prohibition days when they were sold for cooking. I don't know why they still exist.

is cooking sherry the same as dry sherry ?

No. any wine labeled "cooking" is wine of such a low quality it couldn't be sold any other way than salting it up and labeling it "cooking wine" so unsuspecting folks will be duped into paying many times the price for that teensy bottle they would pay if they bought a regular bottle of wine.

(and now that I'm done with my rant.... :LOL:)

There are several types of sherry, and like other fortified wines, some are dry and some are sweet. There are several names linked correctly with "Dry Sherry," Fino, Palo Cortado, Manzanilla would all suit.

I, too, never buy cooking wine. I love cooking with fortified wines, and keep dry sherry and dry vermouth on hand. They last for a long time even on the shelf, and are good to have a nip when you are cooking. I'm trying to look back over the entries here to find out what you were making, but for many dishes I would use marsala. Different flavor but would probably be good.

I still haven't seen an answer to the question of what wine would be a good substitute for sherry. My regular grocery store has a large wine collection, but not sherry.

I love the flavor of sherry for cooking and really, really would like to find a suitable substitute.

I'm doing a CP pot roast, and ran across a recipe using a half cup of dry vermouth. So far it tastes really good. Maybe some type of vermouth might work?

I've subbed port for sherry in my mushroom soup, and it was good. Am not sure there is any real sherry taste alike.

I still haven't seen an answer to the question of what wine would be a good substitute for sherry. My regular grocery store has a large wine collection, but not sherry.

I love the flavor of sherry for cooking and really, really would like to find a suitable substitute.

You can use most anything but, I would try a small bottle of vermouth if sherry is not available.

Thanks, Bea. I have used Vermouth to cook with before and liked it. Maybe it will do.

Thanks, Bea. I have used Vermouth to cook with before and liked it. Maybe it will do.

Although they're both fortified wines, there really is nothing similar about the flavors of dry Sherry and dry Vermouth.

How far is it to the nearest wine store? ;)

Vermouth and sherry don't taste like each other, so vermouth isn't a flavor sub.

Why not track down some sherry? It lasts nearly forever.

Back
Top Bottom