Substitution for eggs used in frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the frosting. Which frosting are you referring to? There is buttercream which has no eggs, simple frosting has no eggs, and boiled frosting which has egg whites in it but is cooked.
Or are you thinking of icings which have eggs in them? Or meringue has raw egg whites in it but once you put it on the pie and then into the oven... well it's cooked now. But you could just buy meringue powder which is powdered egg whites and I think Cream of Tartar and make a meringue or royal icing.
Otherwise if it calls for egg whites and it will be uncooked then you could use egg white substitute by Egg Beaters or if it calls for whole eggs and remains uncooked again Egg Beaters or something like it.

You said substitutions for eggs in frosting, not icing or pastries?? And you said you didn't want raw eggs in it, not no eggs at all. Anyway, most of the frostings I use, including buttercream, don't have raw eggs in them as they get cooked before eaten or just plain don't call for eggs anywhere in the recipe. Same with meringue, it gets cooked before eaten in most cases.
A quick Google search will turn up tons of recipes that don't use eggs in them, or you can use an egg substitute and just follow the exchanges on the label if the recipe you are wanting to make requires a frosting with raw eggs in it.

No, I believe they are synonyms. At least they are as I use them.

A real pastry chef would have to tell you if there is a difference between frosting and icing.

You said substitutions for eggs in frosting, not icing or pastries?? And you said you didn't want raw eggs in it, not no eggs at all. Anyway, most of the frostings I use, including buttercream, don't have raw eggs in them as they get cooked before eaten or just plain don't call for eggs anywhere in the recipe. Same with meringue, it gets cooked before eaten in most cases.
A quick Google search will turn up tons of recipes that don't use eggs in them, or you can use an egg substitute and just follow the exchanges on the label if the recipe you are wanting to make requires a frosting with raw eggs in it.

LOL, yea at first I was talking about frostings, but I remembered that some pastries have raw eggs in them so I thought I'll add them too:ROFLMAO:

but are the egg cooked well? cause they cook 'em over medium heat, I dunno I just feel they're not cooked:sick:

Yes but Italian Meringue buttercream cooks the egg so one doesn't have the raw egg issue. If you search the site, I have a link with pictures on how to make a vanilla version.

Edited to add the link:
eG Forums -> DEMO -- Italian Meringue Buttercream

thanks hun, eggs make me :sick:

Just to make sure I have my terms clear, there is a difference between icing and frosting, right?

I dunno, but usually icing sets harder while frosting remains fluffy :ermm:

LOL, yea at first I was talking about frostings, but I remembered that some pastries have raw eggs in them so I thought I'll add them too:ROFLMAO:

but are the egg cooked well? cause they cook 'em over medium heat, I dunno I just feel they're not cooked:sick:

thanks hun, eggs make me :sick:

I dunno, but usually icing sets harder while frosting remains fluffy :ermm:

Let me put it to you this way, runny eggs whites = :sick::sick::sick: for me! LOL. I can't handle them at all. But, I can't say they are completely or thoroughly cooked in these recipes, but some cooking is better than raw...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom