Substitution for honey in bagels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before you substitute anything for the honey in your bagels, you might check to see if you really need to.

What I mean by that is that, perhaps, cooking the honey makes it okay for children under age 2 to have. The real problem with giving honey to young children is plain, raw honey rather than having it cooked into a dish/recipe. Check to see if the honey you plan to use in your bagels is pasteurized. If it is, the risk of botulism will be eliminated.

Last edited:
Consider another recipe.

You could also consider adding sugar to replace the honey and increasing the liquid accordingly.

Maple syrup would work, but it would give your bagels a distinctly maple flavor. I'd suggest
Karo light corn syrup
karo_aboutus_red.gif

or Steen's cane syrup.
Steens_Cane_Syrup_Can_1QT.gif

once the honey / bagels are baked it is ok for small children.
Raw honey is the issue.

In order for heat to kill botulism, it has to be exposed to a minimum of 248 F for at least 5 minutes.

It's not certain that the inside of a baking bagel would reach those temperatures. For example, a baking loaf of bread is done when the internal temperature is well below 200 F.

I would not risk exposing your infant to illness for the sake of a bagel.

As Andy said, the interior temp of the bagel may not get hot enough to destroy botulism organisms.

I mentioned in my earlier post, check to see if your honey is pasteurized instead. If it's not noted on the container, contact the manufacturer/producer.

If honey has to be heated to 248ºF for at least 5 minutes - pasteurization will not do it (180ºF).

As for the maple syrup or corn syrup ideas ... you might want to rethink those ideas, too ... according to the MayoClinic:

Botulism spores may also be found in undercooked food, corn syrup and even maple syrup. For this reason, feeding an infant any of these foods is risky as well.

Since, if I remember my pediatrics stuff correctly, kids don't begin to differentiate between the most basic salty and sweet tastes until somewhere between 12-24 months ...

Make your honey bagels for yourself ... make a plain one for your kid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom