Substitutions for Cream Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's sour cream.

Actually, Crema Mexican is a mixture of sour cream and heated heavy cream, which is then allowed to ferment without refrigeration for 12 hours, then referigerated for an additional 12 hours to thicken..

Like I suggested earlier, mascarpone is an creamy Italian cheese that tastes absolutely nothing like cream cheese or Neufchâtel and can be substituted in recipes ounce for ounce.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if there are any good substitutions for cream cheese that are not yogourt or cottage cheese? I highly dislike all three, but so many pasta and dessert recipes call for cream cheese - will it depend on each individual recipe what can be used?
Have you tried cream cheese, yogourt, or cottage cheese in these recipes?

A lot of ingredients don't necessarily taste nice on their own, but add a lot to a recipe. My husband won't voluntarily eat an olive, but he puts chopped olives in pasta sauce. I won't voluntarily eat chunks of green pepper, but I add chopped green pepper to pasta sauce and julienned green pepper to salads. I don't really enjoy eating plain yogourt, but I use it in lots of food.

Usually when I see cream cheese in a sauce, it is actually a substitute for heavy cream. It often thickens the sauce much faster than cream does.

I am with Sir_Loin_Of_Beef, marscapone is a great substitute. Creme fraiche may be another possibile winner. Best of luck, and happy cooking!

Wouldn't the heat or adding other ingredients change the flavor of the ones she doesn't like?

I enjoy cream cheese on an English muffin, yet it has an entirely different taste in cream cheese frosting. :angel:

I AM SHOUTING:

She doesn't like the taste of cream cheese.

The suggestions to use cream cheese and Neaufchatel fail on that mark.

Again, I blame Kraft. Seriously.

I made the chicken dish for supper tonight. It was good and will become a staple at my house. Even though the OP doesn't like the taste of cream cheese, it is not a flavor in the dish. The chicken and the Italian seasonings were the things that flavored the dish. The cream cheese was more like a base for the sauce. I would encourage the OP to make the dish as directed the first time. She may be surprised with the taste.

I agree, it might be time to stop trying to create recipes that call for cream cheese, yogurt or cottage cheese since the whole idea of using the ingredients is to get that flavor into the dish. Do you feel the same about sour cream? Go with ingredients you like. Maybe you will invent a fabulous new dish that will get rave reviews. It almost sound like asking what can I substitute for butter in a hot buttered rum since I don't like butter.

Crème fraîche is the French version of Crema Mexican and therefore would not be a good substitute for cream cheese. It would be too thin and watery.

Back
Top Bottom