Substitutions for pine nuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chardonnay

Assistant Cook
I'm making a pesto sauce for Cod and don't appear to have any pine nuts. Any suggestions?

That might actually be really tasty with your cod. Even more so than the pine nuts maybe. I would give that a shot.

I have actually made pesto without pine nuts in the past when I had completely just forgot to add them. The pesto was not the same, but it was not bad.

I would go with the almonds though. I think that would be very good.

Alright, thanks.
This is the first time I've made a pesto. I'm used to doing more of the side dishes or deserts so I was a little worried. Thank you though.

Pesto does not HAVE to have any nuts in it at all. If you don't have them, I would just omit. I also omit the cheese when I'm using Pesto with fish.

In Provence, they call it "Pistou," and it traditionally never has nuts in it.

Some people like walnuts in pesto, but I don't care for that much if Im making pesto with basil.

I have made basil pesto with pistachio nuts several times and I like it better than with pine nuts.

I'm making a pesto sauce for Cod and don't appear to have any pine nuts. Any suggestions?

Try almonds, wanuts, macadamia nuts (expensive) or simply leave them out and add a spoonful/ handful of dried white breadcrumbs at the very last minute to the mix, at the very last minute (fresh or dried) before adding to the cod, prior to cooking.

A lot depends upon how you are making the sauce - is it a sauce or a crust? and when do you add it and what you are serving with it and how you are serving the pesto!

All the best,
Archiduc

Just a note to you pine nut lovers out there - this is a wonderful company to buy from. Nuts are fresh, fresh, FRESH - not like the often rancid ones you buy in little jars at the supermarket - & they last forever in either the fridge or the freezer. Also - prices are more than reasonable for what you get. This has become my only source for pine nuts!

Order pinon nuts from Pinon Penny.Special Sale on roasted pinon. Jumbo Great Basin soft shell pinon nuts.See our monthly special,Green Gifts!!Goods From The Woods On line since 1998. Order telephone orders!.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom