"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Master Chef

Go to a bookstore and look at the book "How to cook Everything" by Mark Bittman and see if that might help you.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

[/quote]I'll bet your wife is loving enough to teach you in a way you can learn. Just my guess.[/quote]
She is very loving, she puts up with me. Whether we can cook together will be interesting, but I'll give it a try if she will.
Good luck with the 17 year old, my first born is an outstanding cook.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Go to a bookstore and look at the book "How to cook Everything" by Mark Bittman and see if that might help you.
He has been writing "How to cook Everything" books since 98', with some others thrown in. (How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food; How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food 2006; How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition): 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food) Did you have a specific one in mind?
Terry - See you tomorrow………….
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Senior Cook

as for seasoning, its better to underseason than overseason ("you can always add"...)...so why not add a little bit of seasoning, just to the point where you think you might need a little more, and then grab someone else to taste it? you can both then agree on whether or not it needs more...a second point of view can be helpful, especially if you senses are a bit shot from all the smells during the cooking process

as for "tasting" all those herbs, try smelling them instead - you will get a more realistic impression of what sort of flavor they will impart on the dish through your nose than chomping down on a handful of them (never actually done that haha)....the rice idea is a good suggestions, but this will be quicker....unless any of them really offend you, i say use them all - again, sparingly at first (remember to remove the bay leaf before serving if you use it)

like everyone else said - its all about experience...but the fun is gaining that experience