Tomato paste substitution (non citric acid)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnsgirlOrielly

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am looking for input regarding changing out tomato paste for a non citric acid option. Tomato paste is used in so many dishes for its depth of flavor. I cook for a family member who is allergic to citric acid as well as gluten free. I welcome any suggestions on anything I could substitute that will give me the same effect without being of a citric acid source.
Thank you so much.

Citric acid, and lemon juice are commonly used to can tomato sauces/paste. Older canning recipes use vinegar instead of the citrus option. Both options have salt added as well.

A fresh sauce can be made by dipping fresh tomatoes in boiling water, taking the skins off, squeezing out the gel/seeds, and cooking down the tomato flesh, into a sauce. You can make it more interesting by sauteing chopped onions in oil, adding thyme (or other herbs) and salt to add to the sauce. A fresh sauce does not need an acid added since it isn't being canned. Fresh sauce can be acidic all on its own. A pinch of baking soda will take off the acidic edge.

Another option is to take dehydrated tomatoes, ground up, and add water to make a paste. No citrus added.

I usually make tomato sauce by cooking down the entire tomato and blending it with a hand blender. A hand blender will demolish the skin. To remove the seeds it can be put through a mill (or not). I hope that helps.

Thank you Blisful, your suggstions regarding sauce are appreciated. Unfortunately, the problem is the tomato itself. Tomatoes are in the citrus family and contain its own natural citric acid. So if you have any ideas of a replacement for the tomato itself I would love your advice.

Thank you Blisful, your suggstions regarding sauce are appreciated. Unfortunately, the problem is the tomato itself. Tomatoes are in the citrus family and contain its own natural citric acid. So if you have any ideas of a replacement for the tomato itself I would love your advice.

Oh! Well, I had never heard the tomato is in the citrus family. I had always read that tomatoes are in the nightshade family, like eggplant and potatoes. Tomatoes are a fruit and commonly considered a vegetable. I hope you figure out a good alternative. Best wishes.

Thanks Blissful, yes your right. Tomato is in nightshade family as well as citric acid. There are some surprising things with citric acid like strawberry, kiwi, mango and tomatillos. Anyways thanks

Thanks Blissful, yes your right. Tomato is in nightshade family as well as citric acid. There are some surprising things with citric acid like strawberry, kiwi, mango and tomatillos. Anyways thanks

Tomatoes contain citric acid, but they are not in the citrus family.

Vinegar or wine provide similar characteristics.

Citric acid exists in greater than trace amounts in a variety of fruits and vegetables, most notably citrus fruits.
Tomatoes are not even related to citrus fruit, but to potatoes and aubergine among other things.

I am citrus intolerant, so I have to avoid citrus fruit and know very well what I cant eat.

Tomato paste is used in so many dishes for its depth of flavor. ... I welcome any suggestions on anything I could substitute that will give me the same effect without being of a citric acid source.
Thank you so much.

If you are after depth of flavor and not tomato taste then Andy's suggestion of soy sauce and anchovies is spot on. You're looking for a umami hit.

Other easy stuff to add:

Fish Sauce
Parmesan Cheese
Mushrooms (try grinding up dry porcinis and adding the dust)
Miso paste
Browned meat

I use a tiny pinch of Goya Sazon in many things. Its MSG and spices.

Ok, this is seriously weird. I have responded to this thread twice last night, both of my responses are not here. Weird. Never had anything like that happen. One respond maybe, but two... No.
Anyway. If tomato sauce is no good, what about using white sauce, i.e. Béchamel sauce for example?

Thank you Jennyema, all good suggestions. I will try the ground mushroom for sure. I use fish sauce in other things so will try that too. I thought about miso but have not found a g.f. Miso yet but haven't given up. Really appreciate your input, you get that I am looking for that Unami affect.

CharlieD, I saw your response. Thank you. White sauce is a regular staple with us....good stuff. It is the tomato paste I am looking to replace that many other recipes call for. I must admit I do miss a good red sauce though.

Back
Top Bottom