Tomato paste substitutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitlin71809

Assistant Cook
I think I'll be regarded as a real pain on the substitution page! My daughter is allergic to a lot of things, including tomatoes. I'm trying to make beef stroganoff; any suggestions for a substitute? She's also allergic to corn, so no corn starch.

Thanks,
Caitlin

I'd just leave it out.... if you make quickie stroganoff with the package flavorings, there isn't any and it is pretty good. Course, the purists here will then say it isn't stroganoff anymore, but.......

No corn starch... if you need a thickener, maybe arrowroot would work.
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I use sour cream in my beef stroganoff and make a gravy from the steak. Between the two, it makes a good binder. I don't use tomatoes in my recipe at all.

I use sour cream in my beef stroganoff and make a gravy from the steak. Between the two, it makes a good binder. I don't use tomatoes in my recipe at all.

Agree. Tomato is not a normal ingredient for stroganoff.

I think I'll be regarded as a real pain on the substitution page! My daughter is allergic to a lot of things, including tomatoes. I'm trying to make beef stroganoff; any suggestions for a substitute? She's also allergic to corn, so no corn starch.

Thanks,
Caitlin

You're in the right place. We have thousands of members who will read your post; so post anything she has allergies to and it will "bump" the substitutes thread to New Posts where it will get lots of attention and possibly some answers.

Hi!
my wife can't have tomatoes, of for that matter, pretty much anything spicy or acidic so we have to find substitutes in a lot of recipes...even pizzas. I guess there are plenty of others out there in a similar situation, any ideas? please!

For many things, such as pizzas or pasta, there are any number of white sauce recipes. Many of them are cream-based alternatives. Basic Alfredo sauce is a good substitute and starting point for making custom sauces to replace most tomato-based sauce.

To replace spicy, add another, but complimentary flavor such as celery seasoning, Italian seasoning, No-salt seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, ginger.

For many things, such as pizzas or pasta, there are any number of white sauce recipes. Many of them are cream-based alternatives. Basic Alfredo sauce is a good substitute and starting point for making custom sauces to replace most tomato-based sauce.

To replace spicy, add another, but complimentary flavor such as celery seasoning, Italian seasoning, No-salt seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, ginger.

I agree, Selkie.

Welcome to DC, Sherb. Google "white pizza recipes". White pizza is awesome delicious, with lots of variations in ingredients.

Last edited:
tomato substitutes

Hi,
thanks for the replies, I shall try those ingredients where possible. My main problem is with casseroles or similar where it so often requires tomato paste or a can of tomatoes. I know I'm a pain, but when you love good food and your other half can't have this or that without upsetting her tummy, it makes it hard to modify recipes.
Ginger, paprika and other similar flavours are out of the question, although, thankfully, garlic is no problem. I guess we're not the only ones out there with this problem and I hope that raising the issue helps others as well. Has anyone heard of a web site relating to these cullinary problems?

Once again, thanks for the replies, they are really appreciated. Any more suggestions please?!

Thanks,
Sherb
Gold Coast, Australia

gidday again
sorry for getting onto the forum the wrong way, I'm not too young and only new to forums, in fact this is the first I've written in to.

I'll plod along & learn\
regards, Sherb, in the land of Oz

Back
Top Bottom