Vanilla Substitution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahlynnk

Assistant Cook
I'm dying to make some brownies, but they require vanilla. Well, vanilla extract. I've always used Imitation Vanilla from Hy-Vee, but I'm out of that. I do have, however, 'Natural Gourmet Vanila' from Los Cinco Soles, Cozumel, Mexico and Extracto de Vainilla that is also fromMexico. Do I use a different amount than is called for in the recipie? Like, less? If so how much less?

I just threw away a bottle of Mexican vanilla this morning, it had weird little floaty things in it. It smells so good though I shoulda found a way to make it into air freshner!

suziquzie, you could have made a reed diffuser out of the vanilla bottle. Just a few bamboo skewers in a 4 or 5 ounce bottle. The reeds help disperse the scent.

I have one sitting in my kitchen windowsill, made from old vanilla I found in back of my cupboard.

Oh man!!!!!
I'd have put it in the kids' bathroom!
Now I wasted it on the septic tank...... :(
I KNEW I should have posted here first for ideas!

I have always prefered using real, 100% pure vanilla extract, especially for baking! It gives a deeper, richer flavor that the imitation vanilla extract. I have also found that it is fun to make your own extract as well! That way you can kind of dictate the flavor you want (based on the type of beans that you buy) and it is a ton of fun too! I found really nice beans online at LINK REMOVED. Happy cooking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom