Vegetable Oil versus Shortening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Can one be substituted for the other? I have a recipe that calls for oil and I have a ton of shortening but only oil I've fried with already. I know I've melted shortening to fry in but don't know about substituting. I have to go to the store for brown sugar (I can't believe I forgot that one!!) so I need to know if I should pick up a small bottle of oil too or if the shortening I have is enough.

what about butter for shortening? I like to use butter better.. and some people say that shortening and butter should be interchangeable and some say that they shouldn't be substituted... ideas?

what about butter for shortening? I like to use butter better.. and some people say that shortening and butter should be interchangeable and some say that they shouldn't be substituted... ideas?

I've always substituted butter for shortening. The taste is better and something about shortening just freaks me out. I've never had a problem with things turning out differently than expected. What have you heard about not substituting them? It's been my experience that they're as interchangable as butter and margarine.

Butter and shortening are both hard, both saturated, can be substituted one to one. Oil is unsaturated and may change something about the product. I no longer allow shortening in the house because of transfats, and either use butter or lard, or if I can find out that it is ok, oil. I make fewer recipes that require hard fat, these days.

Butter can be substituted for shortening, but the results may well not be the same. Butter has a relatively high water content (20%), while shortening is 100% fat. Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening. Butter's water content will stimulate the formation of glutens in flour, while shortening doesn't.

So shortening makes a flakier pie crust, although devoid of flavor. and butter makes a less flaky,but tasty pie crust. The same is true in biscuits and some other baked goods.

Might not make much difference in a cookie recipe though.

No - if the oil has been used for frying in any shape of form then you may not substitute it for shortening in the use of a pastry.

End of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the answer is NO!

Regards,
Archiduc

I don't think using shortening instead of butter or oil is good idea. Shortening is not recommended nowadays, cuz it is full of trans fat.

When making cake, using liquid oil or solid fat results in totally different results.

When making bread, sometimes, this subsitution might not be a big problem, but it really depends. Because butter melting during baking can provide different texture.

The problem is that Callisto asked the question but never answered the most basic question ... if this for cooking (for frying perhaps) or for baking?

For cooking/frying - oil and shortening are interchangeable.

For baking - the answer is basically, no.

Whatcha makin? If your unsure, use olive oil. My SIL even uses it in brownie mixes and you CANNOT (I swear!) tell the difference. Much healthier ... but don't use the $20 bottle, LOL!

bigjim - this information on vegetable oils and fats might help answer your questions. And here is a list of all edible oils from plant sources. Vegetable is just basically a generic term to denote the source is from plants - not animals.

If you want to know what specific oil is in a bottle labeled vegetable oil - look on the back under the nutritional information under contents. The contents will list the oil, or blend of oils, the vegetable oil contains.

The problem is that Callisto asked the question but never answered the most basic question ... if this for cooking (for frying perhaps) or for baking?

For cooking/frying - oil and shortening are interchangeable.

For baking - the answer is basically, no.
Sorry Michael, it was for baking and it worked melting the shortening. Essentially, it was Crisco's Crisco solid or melted.

As to this comment:
No - if the oil has been used for frying in any shape of form then you may not substitute it for shortening in the use of a pastry.
I basically don't fry much of anything and on the rare occasion when I do, I toss the oil too much work to do anything else with it.

And to answer this one:
Whatcha makin? If your unsure, use olive oil. My SIL even uses it in brownie mixes and you CANNOT (I swear!) tell the difference. Much healthier ... but don't use the $20 bottle, LOL!
Pumpkin bread. I know I'm in the minority but I think olive oil is the nastiest tasting thing in the world. I hate using it for anything. Even "light" EVOO tastes like motor oil.

I should have read your original post a couple of more times ... :blush:

Yeah - if a recipe calls for oil and all you have is shortening - all you have to do is melt the shortening and then measure because shortening is about 20% air.

While I might try olive oil for zucchini bread, I have to agree with you about not using it for pumpkin/carrot bread. And, I will never try using peanut oil for chocolate brownies again. :wacko:

I should have read your original post a couple of more times ... :blush:

:wacko:
I should have re-read my original post too. At the time I had fried stuff up for the holidays and the oil was left over as part of my cooking spree I was on at the time.

No, I don't generally fry and yeah, I do generally toss it but for the holidays I was frying stuff (and not doing it well) :LOL:. So to clarify, since 2008 began I've only friend 1 thing and tossed the oil after.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom