"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Senior Cook

No - if the oil has been used for frying in any shape of form then you may not substitute it for shortening in the use of a pastry.

End of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the answer is NO!

Regards,
Archiduc

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Cook

I don't think using shortening instead of butter or oil is good idea. Shortening is not recommended nowadays, cuz it is full of trans fat.

When making cake, using liquid oil or solid fat results in totally different results.

When making bread, sometimes, this subsitution might not be a big problem, but it really depends. Because butter melting during baking can provide different texture.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
Master Chef

The problem is that Callisto asked the question but never answered the most basic question ... if this for cooking (for frying perhaps) or for baking?

For cooking/frying - oil and shortening are interchangeable.

For baking - the answer is basically, no.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Whatcha makin? If your unsure, use olive oil. My SIL even uses it in brownie mixes and you CANNOT (I swear!) tell the difference. Much healthier ... but don't use the $20 bottle, LOL!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #15
Cook

I would like to know coming from California what vegetables are used to make the
vegetable oil? And how do they make it?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

bigjim - this information on vegetable oils and fats might help answer your questions. And here is a list of all edible oils from plant sources. Vegetable is just basically a generic term to denote the source is from plants - not animals.

If you want to know what specific oil is in a bottle labeled vegetable oil - look on the back under the nutritional information under contents. The contents will list the oil, or blend of oils, the vegetable oil contains.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
The problem is that Callisto asked the question but never answered the most basic question ... if this for cooking (for frying perhaps) or for baking?

For cooking/frying - oil and shortening are interchangeable.

For baking - the answer is basically, no.
Sorry Michael, it was for baking and it worked melting the shortening. Essentially, it was Crisco's Crisco solid or melted.

As to this comment:
Quote:
No - if the oil has been used for frying in any shape of form then you may not substitute it for shortening in the use of a pastry.
I basically don't fry much of anything and on the rare occasion when I do, I toss the oil too much work to do anything else with it.

And to answer this one:
Quote:
Whatcha makin? If your unsure, use olive oil. My SIL even uses it in brownie mixes and you CANNOT (I swear!) tell the difference. Much healthier ... but don't use the $20 bottle, LOL!
Pumpkin bread. I know I'm in the minority but I think olive oil is the nastiest tasting thing in the world. I hate using it for anything. Even "light" EVOO tastes like motor oil.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I know I'm in the minority but I think olive oil is the nastiest tasting thing in the world. I hate using it for anything. Even "light" EVOO tastes like motor oil.

Real good then!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #19
Master Chef

I should have read your original post a couple of more times ...

Yeah - if a recipe calls for oil and all you have is shortening - all you have to do is melt the shortening and then measure because shortening is about 20% air.

While I might try olive oil for zucchini bread, I have to agree with you about not using it for pumpkin/carrot bread. And, I will never try using peanut oil for chocolate brownies again.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I should have read your original post a couple of more times ...

I should have re-read my original post too. At the time I had fried stuff up for the holidays and the oil was left over as part of my cooking spree I was on at the time.

No, I don't generally fry and yeah, I do generally toss it but for the holidays I was frying stuff (and not doing it well) . So to clarify, since 2008 began I've only friend 1 thing and tossed the oil after.