What can I replace corn syrup with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radhika

Assistant Cook
while going thru some recipes for making peanut brittles I found corn syrup as one of the ingredient. I don't have shops in my place that sell them. What is the purpose of this corn syrup in this recipe and what can I replace it with?

Can you get Lyle's Golden Syrup? A British product.

The corn syrup in the brittle recipe is probably to prevent crystalization of the sugar as well as sweetness.

while going thru some recipes for making peanut brittles I found corn syrup as one of the ingredient. I don't have shops in my place that sell them. What is the purpose of this corn syrup in this recipe and what can I replace it with?

you may be able to use a thick simple syrup.

I am highly allergic to corn syrup of all kinds and am very familiar with substitutions. The easiest and least expensive is to make a simple syrup out of sugar and water.

Alternative sweeteners that can be used include molasses, Cane Syrup, maple syrup, golden syrup.

I use Cane Syrup when making nut brittles.

IF the corn syrup is in the recipe to prevent crystallization of the cane sugar as it cooks, simple syrup will not work as a replacement.

Cane sugar is sucrose while corn syrup is made up of other sugars. That's why it's effective at stopping crystallization. Simple syrup is sucrose and water so would not be effective at preventing crystallization.

Checking my CIA baking book, the use of a syrup in addition to other sugars has to do with a concept of invert sugar and what happens at the molecular level. Adding a bit of acid to sucrose while boiling will "cause the inversion of some of the sucrose molecules." p. 84
I would try some of the other syrups mentioned instead of a simple syrup. It's the dextrose in corn syrup that is different.

Honey would be an excellent replacement - takes care of the crystallization issue completely.

Back
Top Bottom