"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 05-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #21
Head Chef

I have never seen a white cardamom (does not mean it does not exists). I am Indian and cardamom is a staple spice in my pantry. In general here are the guidelines for it's use atleast amongst Indian cooking. I know it's used in European cookies and pastries too but I would suspect Indian's use it more heavily than any others.

Green Cardamoms - Used in sweet dishes - Kulfi, Kheer (Indian rice pudding), Ras Malai, Masala Tea etc. Also used in Indian pilafs and curries as a whole spice for a unique aroma.

Black Cardamom - Very different in flavor and aroma than the green counterpart is mostly used in savory preparations - Biryani (an aromatic rice and meat dish) other pilafs and strong spiced gravies.

I would not recommend substituting one for another. In a pinch it's better to skip this spice then trying to compensate it with others. I know there are several so called substitutes but they are no where close in flavor and aroma to cardamom.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I tried to copy and paste the cardamon page from Penzeys but its not working anyway there is a Scandanavian white cardamon they use in northern europe for coffee cakes and other sweets.I wish I was better at copy and paste.
Any way check out Penzeys.com and type in cardamon they give you the breakdown on the white,green and black.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's the clip from Penzey's website:

Cardamom
An extremely flavorful and ancient spice native to India, cardamom's use has spread throughout the world, with nearly every culture having its own distinctive use for the flavorful seeds. In India where both green and black cardamom are used, it is an important ingredient in meat and vegetable dishes. In parts of the Middle East the seeds are mixed with green coffee beans before brewing. In Northern Europe (especially Scandinavia) white cardamom is used to season baked goods such as Christmas stollen, cakes, cookies, muffins and buns. Green cardamom is preferred in India and the Middle East. Cardamom is a pod consisting of an outer shell with little flavor, and tiny inner seeds with intense flavor. Fancy white and green pods have no splits or cracks in the shell, so the flavor keeps well. Stored in a glass jar, cardamom pods will stay fresh indefinitely. Shelled or decorticated cardamom seeds are inexpensive and flavorful, but sometimes need to be crushed or ground before use. Ground cardamom has an intensely strong flavor and is easy to use (especially in baking, where the fine powder is desirable). Black cardamom, long a staple in African cooking, was originally used in India as a cheap substitute for green cardamom pods. Black cardamom has a unique smoky flavor and has developed its own following over the years.

What I did was highlight the text by clicking and dragging with my mouse. Then I did Control C to copy. I came to this site and did a Control V to paste the copied text into the reply window.

Andy M.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I have made a note of the uses for cardamom, I cook allot of Asian foods, which I use the green pods for vegetables, rice, and chicken dishes, the brown pods I keep for meat dishes,as they have a stronger taste..I also have the white pods , which I have used in cakes and biscuits, .. nice flavour !
thanks again
The baker......
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I am wanting to make Stollen

Is it okay to use the cinnamon/nutmeg combination with this?
It isn't like this is a meat dish or anything that would require Cardamom, do you think?

I see this thread was posted in May, so I hope someone is here that can help me!!

Thank you
Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfness View Post
Is it okay to use the cinnamon/nutmeg combination with this?
It isn't like this is a meat dish or anything that would require Cardamom, do you think?

I see this thread was posted in May, so I hope someone is here that can help me!!

Thank you
Cardamom isn't just for meat dishes - it is also used in baking. When looking at a list of baked goods that depend on cardamom for their unique flavor, Stollen usually heads up the list.

Yes, you can use equal parts of cinnamon and nutmeg to substitute - but it will not taste the same.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

In that case...

I guess I'll have to go find some then won't I.
I had tasted stollen years ago and it was the "taste" that I liked. So I won't cut corners by using substitutes.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #28
Head Chef

If you have a cost plus market near you, they have inexpensive spices. I would go there. If it were a dessert, I would tell you not to leave it out.

Your dish may be fine but not what was intended.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Better yet, find a place that sells bulk spices and just buy the small amount you will need for your recipe. You won't believe how just a small plastic bag of cardamom will perfume your car, house and wherever else you have it. I always put mine in a sealed glass jar to keep the fragrance from getting into other things. It's a wonderful smell though! You'll be glad you went to the effort to get it. It is a unique spice and there really are no good substitutions.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I purchase my cardamon in a white shell. Break the shell and crush the black seeds.
Have a wonderful flavor. I use them in sweet breads. DELICIOUS. Aria