What is tamarind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tamarind, paste of, is often used in Indian cuisine.

And welcome to DC. :)

It's also the foundation flavor of the signature dish of Thailand, Pad Thai. If it's a major player in a dish. don't try to substitute, get some tamarind.

We sell alot of Mexican candy that has tamarind as a main ingredient. They mix the tamarind with chili powder, so it can be a bit spicy. Other than that the candy has a sour, hot, "barnyard" flavor. It is a flavor I have really began to enjoy, but it is an aquired taste. As for plain tamarind, I really don't know too much about it.

I use tamarind often and love it. You can also get it in a concentrated liquid form that makes it very user friendly! If you are curious I highly recommend trying it in syrups, sauces for proteins, chutneys, jams, and syrups.

Tamarind is one of the main dish for Thailand and probably in the Philippines. When it is not ripe, they use it to make a sour ingredient for their recipes. Really don't know the exact name of the ingredient but, in the Philippines, I know one of their main dish ( as I know). They called it "sinigang". It is a choice whether it is a pork, beef, chicken or fish. They usually put tomatoes, okra, kangkong or swamp cabbage, taro plant, egg plant and onions.
this dish is somewhat like a soup but, it is really good. :)

It's also fairly common in Mexican cooking.

One of the best margaritas I've ever had was made with tamarind. They rimmed the glass with cinnamon. I'm starting to drool just thinking about it ...

Back
Top Bottom