"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

a co-worker and i just did a salt substitute test this past weekend. we tested 3 brands, all of which were made of potassium chloride.

we liked "adolph's salt substitute" the best, by far.

"morton's" and "nu-salt" were both odd tasting and imo, didn't taste like salt at all.

we also both agreed that salt free and low salt spice mixes, such as "jane's crazy mixed up salt", and "mrs. dash" (the salt free version) were very good ways of adding flavor without adding so much sodium.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Senior Cook

The pure Vitamin C would have to be Sodium Ascpobate, which is the non-acidic type. I bought this for health reasons at a pharmacy, and I know it is used in the culinary industry as well for keeping food fresh when you don't want to use lemon juice (perhaps because of the flavor does not match what you want to use in the dish). When asked what it tastes like, my most common answer is "like salt, but without the salty taste". By this I mean that it simply is not as "salty" tasting. But do be aware: it has sodium as well, so I don't know whether it really reduces the health risks associated with salt.

One thing that I also use for health reasons is Alum powder, which is often used in pickling spice mixes. It tastes salty, sour and even a little sweet, and could probably be used in a mix similar to Mrs Dash. Again, I believe it has some sodium, or else might have sodium, but as I understand it Alum is actually a classification of chemicals rather than a specific one. Anyway, it provides relief for my canker sores

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote